Albany's Scott Wedgewood Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
March 17, 2014 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Albany Devils goaltender Scott Wedgewood has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Mar. 16, 2014.
Wedgewood was perfect last week, posting shutouts in each of his two starts to help keep the Devils in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff race.
On Saturday night, Wedgewood made 16 of his 23 saves in the third period to preserve Albany's 2-0 victory over Hartford. And on Sunday afternoon, Wedgewood became the first goaltender in franchise history to record back-to-back shutouts, stopping all 13 shots in a 3-0 win over Syracuse to extend his personal streak to 126:50 without allowing a goal.
A 2010 third-round draft choice by New Jersey, Wedgewood is in his first full AHL season in 2013-14 and has a record of 11-12-3 with a 2.54 goals-against average, an .894 save percentage and three shutouts in 28 appearances for Albany. The 21-year-old native of Etobicoke, Ont., played four junior seasons with Plymouth in the Ontario Hockey League from 2008-12, and played five games with Albany as a rookie last year.
In recognition of his achievement, Wedgewood will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Devils home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2014
- Chicago Wolves, Learning Express Toys Welcome Inventor Choon Ng for First Rainbow Loom Expo - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Recall Knapp and Makarov from ECHL - Rochester Americans
- Campbell Signed to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canadiens Assign Tokarski to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Corban Knight to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wings Recall Ferraro - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Shapiro Motors 'Turn Back the Clock Night' Set for March 22 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Matt Hackett from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Texas Stars Host Military Appreciation Weekend - Texas Stars
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Dogs Host Heat, Admirals in Three Home Games this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Florida Panthers Recall LW Garrett Wilson from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Sign Kyle Ostrow - Abbotsford Heat
- One Game, One Point in Week 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Albany's Scott Wedgewood Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Canadiens Assign Bournival to Bulldogs for Conditioning - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dallas Stars Return Goalie Cristopher Nilstorp to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Falcons Return Goaltender Clemente to ECHL's IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Riley Wetmore, Adam Brace Recalled by Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.