Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On
COLUMBIA, SC - Columbia fell to Greenville, 7-1, on Wednesday but it was Matt Winaker who extended his notable on-base streak. Columbia's left-fielder singled and stretched his streak to 19 straight games.
Winaker has hit .309 during the streak, which started on July 19. Winaker is the fifth Firefly this season to tally an on-base streak of 15 games or longer.
Hansel Moreno bashed two more hits against Greenville on Wednesday. The switch-hitter has fared the best at the plate against the Drive this season: Moreno owns a .368 average against the division rival.
TOP 2 - Jordan Wren triples in a run. GVL 1, COL 0
TOP 3 - Ryan Fitzgerald singles, scores Samuel Miranda. GVL 2, COL 0
TOP 6 - Wren slaps a two-run homer. GVL 4, COL 0
BOTTOM 7 - Hansel Moreno doubles and scores when Giovanny Alfonzo reaches on an error. GVL 4, COL 1
TOP 8 - Two-run home run from Pedro Castellanos ... Miranda drives in Wren with a base hit. GVL 7, COL 1
The Fireflies and Drive finish their series on Thursday at 7:05 ET. The winner takes the series with a victory on Thursday. The probable starters are righty Marcel Renteria (3-1, 3.81) for Columbia and lefty Angel Padron (3-5, 4.42) for Greenville.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta