Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature
After a three hour and fifteen-minute rain delay, the Intimidators and Crawdads got in one of the two scheduled games Wednesday night at LP Frans Stadium, with Mother Nature taking game one and the Crawdads taking game two, 2-1.
The Intimidators got the scoring going in the third inning against RHP Reid Anderson (W, 6-6), as Justin Yurchak reached base after a walk on a 3-2 pitch. One batter later, Ian Dawkins collected his second hit in the first three innings with a single into left field, putting runners at first and second for Luis Curbelo. On the first pitch of his at-bat, Curbelo smacked a single right back where it came from, scoring Yurchak from second base to give the I's a 1-0 advantage. Next up, Steele Walker collected his third hit in an Intimidators uniform with a ball hit through the right side, only to see Pedro Gonzalez gun out Dawkins at the plate to keep the lead to one run.
After picking up two strikeouts in the bottom of the third and one in the fourth inning, LHP Parker Rigler (L, 6-6) surrendered a two-out solo homer off the bat of Sam Huff to deep left-center field, tying the game, 1-1.
In the sixth frame, Bubba Thompson used a bunt-single back between the pitcher's mound and first base to reach, stealing second during the next at-bat with Yonny Hernandez at the plate. After a groundout to second base off the bat of Hernandez, Thompson moved over to third base just to come in one batter after a single into left field off the bat of Ryan Dorow, giving the 'Dads a 2-1 lead.
The Intimidators saw their last chance to score come in the seventh inning against Anderson with Tyler Frost leading off the frame with a single into center field. After a groundout to first base off the bat of Michael Hickman, sending Frost to second, the speedy center fielder for the Intimidators got a great read off Anderson and stole third base with one out. But, following suit with how things went last night for Kannapolis, Ramon Beltre and Yurchak both struck out to leave the tying run at third base.
Demarcus Evans (S, 6) kept the door closed on the Intimidators with four strikeouts through the last two innings of the ball game, striking out Tate Blackman and Frost to end the second game of the four-game series.
Kannapolis and Hickory will have to play a double header starting at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday because of the weather on Tuesday that only allowed the two teams to play one game. The Intimidators are scheduled to send RHP Jhoan Quijada (1-3, 4.76 ERA) to the mound against Hickory's RHP Alex Eubanks (5-5, 6.45 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Themed Fireworks Displays Highlight Historic Season Ahead
- Intimidators Team with PSC to Enhance Fan Experience
- Temerity Baseball Taps Matt Millward as GM for Kannapolis Ball Team
- Intimidators to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 23rd
- A Letter to Our Fans