Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston
CHARLESTON, SC - Charleston scored five times in the first inning as they knocked off the BlueClaws 7-2 on Wednesday night at Riley Park.
Lakewood (30-15/71-43) and Charleston (20-24/53-59) have split the first two games of their three-game series with the rubber game on Thursday night.
After a Rodolfo Duran SAC fly in the first gave the BlueClaws a 1-0 lead, the RiverDogs scored five timesin the bottom of the first to blow open the game. Carlos Vidal hit a two-run double after David Metzgar and Jason Lopez started the inning with base hits. A bad-hop single from Wilkerman Garcia scored Vidal and the RiverDogs added two more on a wild pitch and a Chris Hess SAC fly.
Lakewood starter Damon Jones (7-6) settled in after the first inning, getting the BlueClaws through the fifth without allowing another run. He allowed five runs, four earned, with three walks and four strikeouts.
Meanwhile, the first inning run was the only one the BlueClaws would get off Charleston starter Miguel Yajure (4-2). He went five and gave up one run on six hits with one walk and two strikeouts.
Charleston got two more in the sixth off Luis Ramirez. Leonardo Molina's solo home run, his second of the year, put the Dogs up 6-1 and they added an unearned run on an RBI single from Jason Lopez.
Jhailyn Ortiz's RBI single drove home a run to pull Lakewood within 7-2 in the eighth.
Vidal went 2-2 and drew three walks, reaching base all five times he came to the plate.
Dalton Guthrie had three hits for Lakewood one day after going 4-4. The BlueClaws second baseman is now 7-8 in the current series. Rodolfo Duran was 3-3 and Madison Stokes added two hits for the BlueClaws in the loss.
The teams finish their series on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Will Stewart (7-1) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Janson Junk (5-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.