Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way
LEXINGTON - After nine grueling innings between the Asheville Tourists and the Lexington Legends, the two teams found themselves tied 5-5 and headed for extras. Asheville scored once in the top of the tenth to take their first lead of the game. In the bottom of the tenth, Lexington moved their runner from second over to third with a groundout.
This set the stage for what Asheville believed was the game-winning play. Cal Jones hit a fly ball into right field. Ramon Marcelino caught the ball and Seuly Matias raced home from third base. The only issue was Matias started running home while the ball was still in the air. So much so that Matias was a full 20 feet off the bag when the catch was made.
The Tourists saw it. The fans saw it. The Legends even saw it. When Austin Bernard caught the throw from Marcelino he immediately fired the ball to third base to "double-off" Matias and win the game; however, the umpires were not paying attention. They didn't even realize the Tourists were appealing.
Robinson Cancel walked onto the field to grab their attention and let them know the game was over. Once they realized there was an appeal, it was determined the run counted. On to the 11th.
A pair of base-running mistakes, in a game littered with mistakes from both teams, doomed Asheville in the top half. Ironically the Legends walked off with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 11th.
Jeff Moberg and Sean Bouchard each hit Home Runs for the Tourists who fought and clawed their way back from an early 3-0 deficit. Moberg's Home Run came in the ninth inning to essentially force extras.
The two teams have a quick turnaround with Wednesday's game set for 1:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.