Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win
Columbia, SC - The Greenville Drive put together a complete performance in Wednesday night's 7-1 victory against the Columbia Fireflies.
Pedro Castellanos and Jordan Wren were the standouts in a 12-hit night at the plate for the Drive (25-21, 50-65). Castellanos was a perfect 4-4 and belted his first home run of the season, while Wren homered in a 3-4 night.
On the mound, Eduard Bazardo (1-0) was outstanding in his Drive debut. The right-hander allowed just five hits and one run over seven innings of work with no walks and four strikeouts.
Wren staked the Drive to a 1-0 lead in the second inning off Zac Grotz (1-5) with an RBI triple to plate Tanner Nishioka, who reached on a fielder's choice.
Samuel Miranda began the third inning with a single and later came in on a single by Ryan Fitzgerald.
The score remained 2-0 until the sixth, when Wren belted a two-run homer to left-center, his second of the season.
Castellanos struck in the top of the eighth for his first homer of the season, a two-run shot to left field. Miranda added an RBI single in the frame for the final run of the game.
The Fireflies (18-26, 52-59) brought home their only run of the night in the seventh after a Drive error.
Bazardo was followed on the mound by Rio Gomez, who threw a pair of scoreless frames in his Drive debut to finish the game.
Miranda joined Castellanos and Wren with multi-hit games by going 2-4.
The rubber game of the series will begin at 7:05 on Thursday night in Columbia. Left-hander Angel Padron (3-5, 4.42) takes the mound for the Drive, and the Fireflies will counter with right-hander Marcel Renteria (3-1, 3.81).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.