Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111)
Columbia Fireflies (18-25, 52-58) vs. Greenville Drive (24-21, 49-65)
RHP Zac Grotz (1-4, 5.89) vs. RHP Eduard Bazardo (5-3, 2.36 - SS Lowell)
Wed., August 8, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 111
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: Columbia opened up its series against Greenville with a 6-4 victory on Tuesday night. Tony Dibrell logged 5.2 solid innings, struck out six and did not walk anyone. The Mets prospect now owns a 2.49 ERA in eight second-half starts and his strikeout to walk ratio has improved from 2:1 in the first half to nearly 5:1 in the second half.
POWER SURGE: Matt Winaker bashed a double on Tuesday and also drove in a run. The Alamo, California, native has now recorded an extra-base hit in five straight games (four doubles and two homers).
STREAKIN': Winaker stretched his on-base streak to 18 straight games with that double on Tuesday.
STREAKIN' Pt. II: The 22-year-old joins a lengthy list of Fireflies that have posted on-base streaks of 15 games or longer this season:
LONGEST ON-BASE STREAKS, 2018 FIREFLIES:
1. Jeremy Vasquez, 29* April 5-May 6
2. Raphael Gladu, 28 May 2-June 9
3. Matt Winaker, 18 July 19-pres
4. Blake Tiberi, 17 June 13-July 6
5. Scott Manea, 16 April 21-May 12
*franchise and 2018 SAL record
GOIN' BACK-TO-BACK: Jose Brizuela singled twice on Tuesday which followed his two-hit (rather, two-homer) performance on Sunday in Asheville. This was the fourth time this season Brizuela posted back-to-back multi-hit games. The first three occasions occurred while he was playing for the Brooklyn Cyclones.
DIVISION RIVALS: Wednesday is the 11th meeting this season between Columbia and Greenville. Among current players on the roster, Hansel Moreno and Pedro Castellanos have had the most success at the plate in the series:
H. Moreno: .333 (5 G), 2B, 3B P. Castellanos: .286 (5 GP), 2 2B, 3 RBI
LEAGUE LEADERS: Columbia pitchers struck out 12 more batters on Tuesday. The Fireflies pitching staff has struck out 1,030 hitters this season, second only to Lakewood (1,062) in the South Atlantic League. Columbia hurlers fan nearly 10 batters per game.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta