Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends walked it off with a 7-6 victory over the Asheville Tourists in the bottom of the 11th inning and now are in sole possession of first place of the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League. The Legends now improve to 61-51 overall (24-19 in the second half).
Lexington was first to score in the bottom of the first inning. Kyle Isbel drew a leadoff walk then advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Cristian Perez. Nick Pratto singled home Isbel and the Legends led 1-0.
In the bottom of the second, Cal Jones reached base on a fielding error by the Tourists then moved to third on a single to left field by Sebastian Rivero. Jones was able to score on a sacrifice fly by Ricky Aracena and Lexington extended their lead 2-0.
The Legends continued to score in the bottom of the fourth inning. Rivero smacked a single to left field then moved to third on a single by Aracena. He then scored on the same play when the Tourists committed a throwing error. After the fourth, Lexington led 3-0.
Asheville plated their first run in the top of the fifth inning. Matt McLaughlin and Jeff Moberg drew back-to-back walks, then both moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt by Austin Bernard. McLaughlin then scored on a wild pitch thrown by Garrett Davila and the Tourists were on the board, 3-1.
In the top of the sixth, Sean Bouchard blasted a solo home run to left field, and Asheville pulled within one, 3-2.
The Legends had an answer in the bottom of the sixth inning. Cal Jones and Rivero reached on back-to-back singles then Aracena brought home Jones on an RBI single and Lexington extended their lead 4-2.
In the top of the seventh inning, Jeff Moberg doubled down the right field line then scored on a double to left centerfield by Bernard. Bernard then scored on an RBI single to right field by Tyler Bugner and the game was tied 4-4.
Lexington took the lead back in the bottom of the seventh inning. Pratto led off with a double then scored on an RBI single by Melendez, and the Legends led 5-4.
Asheville tied the game again in the top of the ninth inning. Moberg hit a leadoff homer to tie the game, 5-5.
In the top of the tenth inning, Ryan Vilade, the Pace of Play Runner at second base, scored on a fielding error by Ricky Aracena and the Tourists took a 6-5 lead.
The Legends tied it in the bottom of the tenth inning. Seuly Matias was the Pace of Play Runner and moved to third on a groundout by MJ Melendez. Cal Jones then popped up a sacrifice fly to right field, sending the game to the eleventh inning.
In the bottom of the eleventh inning, Rivero was the Pace of Play Runner who advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Carlos Diaz. Rivero then scored on a sky high sacrifice fly to centerfield by Kyle Isbel and Lexington walked it off, 7-6.
Collin Snider was awarded the victory for the Legends tossing 2.0 innings allowing one run on two hits while striking out one. Moises Ceja was given the loss pitching 0.2 innings allowing one run (unearned) while walking one. Legends starter Garrett Davila hurled 6.0 innings allowing two runs on two hits while walking four.
The Legends and Tourists meet again tomorrow, August 8 at 1:05 p.m. Lexington will send RHP Yefri Del Rosario (2-5, 3.29 ERA) to face RHP Frederis Parra (2-2, 4.63 ERA).
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends to Rebrand to Kentucky Beer Cheese
- Legends Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Legends to Host Female Minor League Baseball Broadcasters Event
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America