Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends
LEXINGTON- The Asheville Tourists have been unable to get out of their own way in the first two games of their current series against the first place Lexington Legends. On Wednesday afternoon, shaky defense in the first two innings led to a pair of runs for Lexington that ended up being the difference in a 4-2 loss.
Lexington scored in the bottom of the first inning when Asheville failed to keep a groundball on the infield with two outs. MJ Melendez was able to score from second base. Lexington has scored a run in the first inning against the Tourists in five straight games - all wins for the Legends.
In the second inning, it appeared Frederis Parra had recorded the final out on a ground ball. When Ryan Vilade realized he wouldn't be able to record a force out at second base, Vilade had to hurry a throw to first that sailed wide. The next batter, Cristian Perez, singled home the Legends' second run.
The home team added two more runs on a pair of two-out hits in the fourth to build a 4-0 lead. Asheville broke through in the top of the fifth with an RBI double by Nic Motley and an RBI triple off the bat off Matt Hearn.
The Tourists put together one more rally in the eighth. With two outs and runners at second and third, Todd Czinege worked a 3-0 count. Todd was given the green light and hit a fly ball to deep left field. The ball was hauled in just in front of the wall as Czinege barely missed a three-run Home Run. The Legends hung on in the ninth to secure the win.
Vilade notched his 100th hit of the season in the loss and Derrik Watson tossed a pair of scoreless innings. Asheville's bullpen has pitched 7.2 innings in this series and has yet to allowed an earned run.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 8, 2018
- GreenJackets Walk-Off Suns in Rain Shortened DH - Hagerstown Suns
- Anderson Delivers Strong Start as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Pitching Duel Goes to Rome 1-0 - Rome Braves
- Wednesday's Double Header Goes to Crawdads and Mother Nature - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Dogs Pile on Five in Opening Frame to Roll over BlueClaws - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Dominate Fireflies in Wednesday's 7-1 Win - Greenville Drive
- Winaker's Impressive On-Base Streak Rolls On - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Top Claws 7-2 Wednesday Night in Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Resilient GreenJackets Walk-Off in Game One - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Wednesday's Road Contest in Greensboro Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 8 vs. Greenville (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Hold on to 4-2 Victory over Tourists in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Mistakes Continue in Second Straight Loss to Legends - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Playoff Tickets on Sale August 15th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 8) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: New Kids on the Block - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- SRP Park wins BaseballParks.com's Ballpark of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Walk off on Tourists in 7-6 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Emotional Game Twists and Turns Legends' Way - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.