Wichita Moves into Second with 8-4 Win
INDEPENDENCE, MO - Wichita kicked off a busy week in Independence, Missouri on Tuesday night with a 8-4 win against Kansas City at Cable Dahmer Arena.
Matteo Gennaro and Vincent Desharnais led the way with three points each while five others collected two. Mitch Gillam earned his fourth win of the season to improve to 4-1 overall. Wichita moves into second place with the win and improves to 4-0-0-0 on the road this season.
Eight different players found the back of the net with Gennaro getting things started at 9:25 of the first. He redirected a shot from Peter Crinella past Andrew Shortridge for his fifth of the season. At 16:17, Stefan Fournier made it 2-0 as his wrap-around hit a skate in front of the Kansas City net and went past Shortridge for his first of the season.
Anthony Beauregard made it 3-0 at 3:44 of the second. As he came off the rush, he cut to the middle and fired a shot past Shortridge for his first in a Thunder uniform. Jacob Graves also notched his first of the year at 8:15 with a blast from the right point. His goal would be the last Shortridge would allow as he was pulled and Sean Bonar came in. Less than a minute later, Justin Woods found a rebound off a shot from Giorgio Estephan and put it past Mitch Gillam to get the Mavericks on the board. At 17:15, Jeremy McKenna added his fourth of the year as he redirected a pass from Gennaro to make it 5-1. Phil Marinaccio scored quickly at 18:10 with a power play marker to cut the lead to 5-2.
The Thunder scored three unanswered midway through the third to take a 8-2 lead. Jay Dickman tallied his first of the year at 8:57 with assists to Beauregard and Cam Clarke. 33 seconds later, Mathieu Gagnon fired a shot past Bonar for his first of the year to make it 7-2. Crinella potted his second of the year at 11:19 with a turn around shot in the slot to make it 8-2. Estephan and Bryan Lemos added late goals for the Mavericks, but it was too late and Wichita skated away with the victory.
Gennaro had a goal and two assists, extending his point-streak to six games. Desharnais had a playmaker (3a) and was +5. Dickman, McKenna, Crinella and Beauregard each had a goal and an assist. McMann had two helpers. Graves had a goal and was +5 as well.
The Thunder returns home for three-straight games against the Mavericks starting on Friday, January 8 at 7:05 p.m. Buy tickets here.
Season tickets for the 2020-21 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. To learn more, contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder celebrate a goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 5, 2021
- Bednard Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks Lose to Wichita, 8-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wichita Moves into Second with 8-4 Win - Wichita Thunder
- Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Claim Mark Auk from Rapid City - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Add Defenseman Reece Willcox - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - January 5 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Sign Forward AJ White - Utah Grizzlies
- "RushÃ¢ÂÂ to be Formally Introduced with Veteran on Saturday Night - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs Game Preview January 5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Set to Return to Play - Fort Wayne Komets
- Walleye Enact COVID Voluntary Suspension - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Garreffa Named Inglasco Player of the Week - Allen Americans
- Allen's Garreffa Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Growlers Launch Website Highlighting Plans for Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Greenville's Bednard Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign - Reading Royals
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.