Weekly: Penguins Set for Showdown with League-Leading Checkers
Friday, January 4 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Grand Rapids 2
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fought hard to win their first game of 2019, which ended in a shootout against the Grand Rapids Griffins. Ryan Haggerty tallied twice in regulation, while Joseph Cramarossa buried the game-winning goal in the third round of the shootout. Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry had 28 saves in regulation and overtime, then followed that up by going three-for-three on stops in the shootout.
Saturday, January 5 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Milwaukee 5
The Penguins fell to the Admirals despite nearly staging a comeback in the third period. Anthony Angello gave Wilkes-Barre/Scranton the lead with a first period power play goal, but Milwaukee got the edge by notching three goals in the second stanza. Jean-S é bastien Dea and Teddy Blueger quickly lit the lamp in the third, but the Penguins were unable to pull even with the Admirals.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Jan. 11 - PENGUINS at Charlotte
The Penguins embark on a two-game road trip against the Checkers, who currently hold the best record in the AHL (27-8-3-0). Wilkes-Barre/Scranton hosted Charlotte at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza twice earlier this season, but narrowly lost both games by thin, one-goal margins. Charlotte All-Star selection Trevor Carrick recorded five points, all assists, during the two previous games against the Penguins.
Saturday, Jan. 12 - PENGUINS at Charlotte
The Penguins continue their back-to-back set against the league's top team, which also happens to be tied for the most goals in the AHL this season (133). Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is 5-1-0-0 all-time at Bojangles' Coliseum in the regular season, with Charlotte snapping its five-game skid at home against the black and gold in the Penguins' last visit on Mar. 14, 2018.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has won six-straight times in their first game of a New Year.
- Sam Lafferty is tied for the second-most assists amongst league rookies (19).
- Teddy Blueger has six goals and seven points in his last six games.
- Chad Ruhwedel recorded five points (1G-4A) during his five-game conditioning stint with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
- Anthony Angello is tied for the league's best plus/minus rating amongst rookie forwards (+15).
- Kevin Czuczman played in his 300th AHL game on Saturday, Jan. 5 vs. Milwaukee.
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pt%
1. Charlotte 38 27 8 3 0 57 .750
2. Bridgeport 38 21 11 4 2 48 .632
3. Lehigh Valley 35 20 12 1 2 43 .614
4. PENGUINS 38 18 15 4 1 41 .539
5. Springfield 36 16 12 5 3 40 .556
6. Hartford 37 17 16 2 2 38 .514
7. Providence 37 16 16 5 0 37 .500
8. Hershey 36 15 19 0 2 32 .444
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Teddy Blueger 38 16 13 29
Sam Lafferty* 38 5 19 24
Ethan Prow 37 10 13 23
Adam Johnson 38 9 10 19
three players tied
GOALIES GP W-L-OT GAA SV% Shutouts
Tristan Jarry 19 10-6-3 2.80 .910 0
Anthony Peters 16 6-7-2 3.19 .892 1
^ currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Jan. 11 Charlotte Bojangles' Coliseum 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan. 12 Charlotte Bojangles' Coliseum 6:00 p.m.
Sun, Jan. 6 (D) Chad Ruhwedel Recalled by PIT
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2019
- Heat to Celebrate 15 Season of Professional Hockey at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Canucks Recall Adam Gaudette from Comets - Utica Comets
- Admirals to Honor Fallen Officers Michalski and Irvine Jr - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Eriksson Ek, Reassigns Murphy - Iowa Wild
- Pins & Pucks Scheduled for February 19 - Ontario Reign
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly #14: Hershey Heads into Key Stretch of Divisional Play - Hershey Bears
- Ho-Sang Returned on Loan to Bridgeport - Bridgeport Islanders
- Mann Discusses Season at Halfway Mark - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers' Ovarian Cancer Awareness Night Is Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- 'Canes Recall Renouf from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Recall Defensemen Michael Brodzinski and Cody Donaghey from Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins Set for Clashes with Admirals, Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Coat and Glove Drive Presented by Cryomech - Syracuse Crunch
- Weekly: Penguins Set for Showdown with League-Leading Checkers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- $1 Tickets Available for January 15 Game - Charlotte Checkers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Comets Sign Cliff Watson to PTO - Utica Comets
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 14 - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Reveal 2021-22 Promotional Schedule
- Pittsburgh to Host Development Camp
- Individual Game Tickets Go on Sale Wednesday, September 15
- USA Olympic Team to Have WBS Feel
- Pittsburgh Signs Goaltender Louis Domingue