Weekly: After Winning Season Opener, Penguins Look Ahead to Three-In-Three Weekend
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (1-0-0-0) hosts its home opener on Saturday
Saturday, Oct. 5 - PENGUINS 4 at Hershey 3
The Penguins started the 2019-20 season strong by rallying to defeat the Hershey Bears at Giant Center, 4-3. After an early strike by the Bears, Penguins rookie Jake Lucchini evened things up at 6:45 of the first period. Newcomer Stefan Noesen proceeded to score twice in his Pens debut, and Anthony Angello tacked on an important insurance marker midway through the third period. The Bears scored a late, extra-attacker power-play goal to pull within one of the Pens, but Casey DeSmith's 36 saves proved to be too much for a Hershey comeback.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Oct. 11 - PENGUINS at Lehigh Valley
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's second game of the 2019-20 campaign also takes place on the road, when the team travels to PPL Center to take on its other in-state rival. Last season, the Pens went an even 6-6-0-0 against the Phantoms. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton forward Sam Lafferty paced all players in last year's season series with 14 points (4G-10A). Lehigh Valley acquired big names in the offseason, including Andy Andreoff and Cal O'Reilly.
Saturday, Oct. 12 - PENGUINS vs. Utica
The Penguins kick off their home schedule with the Utica Comets' lone visit to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza this season. Last season, the Comets got the upper hand on the Penguins with a 2-0-0-0 record. However, over the past five years, the Penguins have points in eight of 10 games against Utica (4-2-3-1).
Sunday, Oct. 13 - PENGUINS at Hershey
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton returns to hostile territory to face Hershey in a Sunday matinée for the final game of their three-in-three. Last year, Hershey accrued an 8-2-0-1 record in its 5:00 p.m. Sunday home games.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton improved to 11-10-0-0 all-time in season openers with Saturday's win. The Penguins are also 3-2-0-0 in season openers against the Bears.
- Stefan Noesen became the first Penguins player to record multiple goals in the team's opening game since Scott Wilson tallied twice on Oct. 9, 2015 in a 2-1 OT win at Providence.
- After recording two assists on Saturday, Adam Johnson has recorded 14 points (7G-7A) in his last 16 games against Hershey.
- Including the Calder Cup Playoffs, Casey DeSmith is now 4-3-0 in nine career games at Giant Center, posting a 2.04 goals against average and .927 sv%.
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pts%
1. Providence 2 2 0 0 0 4 1.00
2. Hartford 2 2 0 0 0 4 1.00
3. PENGUINS 1 1 0 0 0 2 1.00
4. Springfield 2 1 1 0 0 2 .500
5. Charlotte 2 1 1 0 0 2 .500
6. Hershey 2 0 1 1 0 1 .250
7. Bridgeport 2 0 1 1 0 1 .250
8. Lehigh Valley 1 0 1 0 0 0 .000
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Stefan Noesen 1 2 0 2
Adam Johnson 1 0 2 2
Anthony Angello 1 1 0 1
Jake Lucchini* 1 1 0 1
five players tied 1 0 1 1
GOALIES GP W-L-OT GAA SV% Shutouts
Casey DeSmith 1 1-0-0 3.00 .923 0
Emil Larmi* 0 0-0-0 0.00 .000 0
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Oct. 11 Lehigh Valley PPL Center 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Oct. 12 Utica Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sun, Oct. 13 Hershey Giant Center 5:00 p.m.
Fri, Oct. 4 (RW) Stefan Noesen Signed to SPC
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2019
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly #1: With 82nd Season Underway, Bears Seek First Win - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Send Kaski and Kuffner to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bindulis, Weis Assigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Spectra to Offer Wide Selection of Food & Beverage Options in 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Forward Gemel Smith to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Announce Player Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Host AHL-NWHL Doubleheader with Connecticut Whaleon February 22 - Bridgeport Islanders
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Jets Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: After Winning Season Opener, Penguins Look Ahead to Three-In-Three Weekend - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blue Cross Arena Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Kellermeyer Bergensons Services - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 1 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- AHL Announces Postponements, Schedule Changes
- Almeida and Reilly Reassigned to Penguins from Wheeling
- Penguins Weekly
- D'Orio Returns to Pens, Nappier Reassigned to Nailers
- Pittsburgh Recalls Drew O'connor