Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Forward Gemel Smith to Syracuse Crunch
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Tampa Bay Lightning have assigned forward Gemel Smith to the Syracuse Crunch, vice president and general manager Julien BriseBois announced today.
Smith, 25, has skated in three games with the Lightning this season, posting one goal and four penalty minutes. He made his Bolts debut on opening night against the Florida Panthers on October 3 at AMALIE Arena. The 5-foot-11, 196-pound forward netted his first goal as a member of the Lightning on Saturday night against the Panthers. He has appeared in 83 career NHL games over four seasons with the Lightning, Boston Bruins and Dallas Stars, recording 12 goals and 21 points to go along with 42 penalty minutes.
The Toronto, Ontario native has also skated in 233 career AHL games, recording 51 goals and 126 points. Smith set career AHL bests for goals (16), assists (24), points (40) and power-play goals (eight) last season while playing for Providence.
Smith signed a one-year contract with the Lightning as a free agent on July 8, 2019 and was originally drafted by the Dallas Stars in the fourth round, 104th overall, at the 2012 NHL Draft.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2019
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly #1: With 82nd Season Underway, Bears Seek First Win - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Send Kaski and Kuffner to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bindulis, Weis Assigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Spectra to Offer Wide Selection of Food & Beverage Options in 2019-20 - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Forward Gemel Smith to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Announce Player Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Host AHL-NWHL Doubleheader with Connecticut Whaleon February 22 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Jets Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: After Winning Season Opener, Penguins Look Ahead to Three-In-Three Weekend - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blue Cross Arena Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Kellermeyer Bergensons Services - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith