Week Preview: Games 28 & 29 vs. Iowa Wild
WEEK PREVIEW: GAMES 28 & 29 vs. IOWA WILD
For Immediate Release Tuesday, December 10th, 2013
Wednesday, December 11th- 7:00 PDT- Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre
Thursday, December 12th- 7:00 PDT- Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre
Radio: CIVL RADIO 101.7FM
*Pre-Game Show begins 15 minutes prior puck-drop
Abbotsford, BC - This week will be the last pair of home games the Heat will play before the Christmas break. The upcoming doubleheader against Iowa will wrap up a six game home stand where the Heat are 2-2 through four games and will finish off their season series with the Iowa Wild after Thursday night's game.
The Heat's play in the third period has been the difference in most games this season. They lead the AHL in scoring in the third frame with 39 goals for and had six against San Antonio in two games last weekend. The Heat sit in first place in the Western Conference in goal differential in the final period at plus 14.
With Saturday's win over San Antonio, the Heat are the first team to reach 40 points in the AHL and have a league best record of 19-6-1-1.
WILD @ HEAT
Wednesday and Thursday will be the third and fourth meeting of the year between the two teams. Abbotsford knocked off Iowa in back to back games at Wells Fargo Arena on November 23rd and 24th, which finished off a season long seven game road trip. The Wild limp into the Fraser Valley in 13th place in the Western Conference (may change after Tuesday) at 8-12-1-0. They are coming off two losses against Texas last weekend and will look to finish their six game road trip on a high note against the Heat.
Scoring goals has been an issue for the Wild through 21 games this season. They are tied with Utica for the least amount of goals scored in the AHL with 48, although they and three other teams have played the least amount of games to date in the AHL. The Heat on the other hand, have had no problems finding the back of the net with 92 goals scored, which leads the league.
A familiar face will walk back into the AESC in Wild defenseman Brian Connelly. After spending 28 games with the Heat in the 2011-12 season, Connelly is off to a fine start with the Wild as he leads the team in scoring with 14 points. The Bloomington, Minnesota native is a two time AHL All-Star.
2013-14 Heat head to head stats vs. Iowa Wild:
11/23/13- ABB 4 IWA 0 @ Wells Fargo Arena
11/24/13- ABB 2 IWA 1 @ Wells Fargo Arena
Individual leaders in season series:
ABB: Street: 3 points (2-1-3), Byron: 3 points (1-2-3), Granlund: 3 points (1-2-3), Ortio (25/25 saves, 1 win, 1 shutout)
IWA: Bulmer: 1 point (1-0-0), Rau: 1 point (0-1-1), Veilleux: 1 point (0-1-1)
NEWS & NOTES
Markus Granlund enters Wednesday's game on a nine game point streak, which is tied for the longest active streak in the AHL. Over the nine game span, Granlund has recorded 12 points (5-7-12).
On Monday, defenseman Derek Smith cleared waivers and was assigned to the Heat from the Flames. Smith has played in one game this season for the Heat and has appeared in 11 games with the Flames.
The Heat lead the AHL in power play goals with 32. They have scored a power play goal in eight straight games and during the streak are 13 out of 38. In four out of the eight games, the Heat have put up two goals or more on the man advantage.
Milestones will be achieved on Wednesday night by two Heat players. Greg Nemisz will play in his 200th regular season AHL game, while Chad Billins will play in his 100th regular season AHL game.
Brandon Astle and Vanni De Bartolo will bring all live Heat action this weekend on 101.7 CIVL FM and on www.teamradio.ca. The pre-game show begins 15 minutes before puck drop.
For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 10, 2013
- Checkers Power Past Rampage - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Edged in Charlotte, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Crush Crunch 6-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Holiday Party Raises Money for Save of the Day - Utica Comets
- Syracuse Downed 6-2 by St. John's - Syracuse Crunch
- Week Preview: Games 28 & 29 vs. Iowa Wild - Abbotsford Heat
- Stars Weekly (Week 11) - Texas Sweeps All Three Games in Week 10 - Texas Stars
- Wolf Pack Look to "Save the Top Shelf" on "Pink in the Rink" Night - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Griffins Take Seven-Game Winning Streak into Final Three Games of Home Stand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Spreading Holiday Cheer at The Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Biron and Ludzik Added to Amerks-Sabres Alumni Game Lineup at Frozen Frontier - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers See Win Streak End in Shutout Loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Assign Shalla to Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Pierre-Marc Bouchard Loaned to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils, Whitney Nip Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Rockford Signs York to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Capitals Re-Assign Wey to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Coyotes Recall Gilbert Brule from Portland - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Host Wild-Wild West Night - Binghamton Senators
- Blue Jackets Reassign Thomas Larkin to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- "Wednesday Is Hockey Night" Returns - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Outdoor Game to be Televised Live from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Zucker from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- American Hockey League Outdoor Game to be Televised Live from Rochester - AHL
- Falcons, Blue Jackets Agree to Exercise Option on Affiliation - Springfield Falcons
- Ron Cain New Majority Owner of Portland Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms