Warriors Defeat Vipers, 130-128, on Jeremy Pargo Game Winner
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (20-18) beat the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (12-26) 130-128 Friday night at Kaiser Permanente Arena on a game-winning three-pointer from Jeremy Pargo with 0.9 seconds remaining, capping a 24-point comeback.
The Vipers led by 24 points in the second quarter and held a 16-point lead entering the half before the Warriors began to chip away in the second half and cut the lead to 10 points entering the final frame. Zach Norvell tied the game at 110 apiece on a three-pointer with 8:22 to play, but the Warriors were unable to take the lead and Rio Grande held a six-point advantage with 2:35 left.
Santa Cruz went on an 8-2 run to tie the score at 126 on an Andrew Harrison three-pointer with 58.6 seconds left, but Sindarius Thornwell answered right back with an uncontested layup for the Vipers. Jonathan Simmons hit a free throw to cut the Warriors deficit to 128-127, setting the stage for Pargo's game-winner at the top of the key.
Pargo led the Warriors with 28 points, one of four Warriors starters to score at least 20 points. Deyonta Davis finished with his eighth straight double-double of the season with 21 points and 11 rebounds. In his first home game with Santa Cruz, Simmons ended the night with 24 points and seven rebounds.
Isaiah Taylor scored 28 points for the Vipers while fellow guard and Houston Rockets assignee Chris Clemons finished with 25 points, nine assists and seven rebounds. Isaiah Hartenstein, also on assignment from Houston, led the Vipers with 31 points to go along with 11 rebounds in 33 minutes.
Santa Cruz leads the season series with Rio Grande, 3-0, with the final matchup of the season coming on March 21 at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
The Warriors finish the back-to-back at Kaiser Permanente Arena tomorrow night versus the Austin Spurs at 7 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Santa Cruz Warriors Beach Towel courtesy of A Tool Shed Equipment Rentals. Fans can watch the game on NBC Sports Bay Area Plus or stream on Twitch. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors 2019-20 NBA G League season, presented by Kaiser Permanente, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 29, 2020
- Hustle Drop Second of Back-To-Back against Salt Lake City - Memphis Hustle
- NAZ Suns No Match for Legends in Texas - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Best Bulls Behind Big Double-Double from Koumadje - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Magic on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Pierre Jackson Captains South Bay to Victory over Clippers - South Bay Lakers
- Magic Top Drive on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Greensboro Falls to College Park - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Run Away with Game against Wolves in Oklahoma City - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Loses at Delaware, 122-99 - Windy City Bulls
- Waters, Brown Lead Red Claws to Win - Maine Red Claws
- Westchester Succumbs to Loss against Conference Leaders - Westchester Knicks
- Herd Stampedes Past Knickerbockers 115-108 - Wisconsin Herd
- Charge Go-Go for Eighth Straight Home Win - Canton Charge
- Minnesota Timberwolves Assign Jacob Evans III and Jarred Vanderbilt to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Alum Keith Wright - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Waive Reggis Onwukamuche - Lakeland Magic
- Warriors Defeat Vipers, 130-128, on Jeremy Pargo Game Winner - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Payne Goes Full Force in the Fourth to Lead Legends over Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund
- Blondie Show at Kaiser Permanente Arena Canceled
- NBA G League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Santa Cruz Warriors Graduation Week, Presented by Santa Cruz County Bank