Payne Goes Full Force in the Fourth to Lead Legends over Sioux Falls
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (21-18) used a strong fourth-quarter showing from Cameron Payne to finish off the Sioux Falls Skyforce (20-20) 125-117 Friday night in Frisco.
Through nine lead changes and four ties, Texas found themselves ahead at every quarter break. Davon Reed opened the game from outside, answered by Cameron Payne to tie it up and set the tone for a close first quarter. Sioux Falls jumped ahead by one with just under three minutes to play, but Texas finished the quarter on an 11-2 run to lead 35-27 at the first buzzer. Brandon Fields made it a double-digit gap early in the second and Texas built up their largest lead of the night (+14) before the Skyforce responded with a 12-2 run of their own to make it a four-point game. With 4:30 left to play, Texas hit another 11-2 streak and kept a 10-point edge heading into halftime.
Jarrett Jack came out of the locker room firing, igniting the Skyforce to a 62% third with a 14-point performance on 6-of-8 from the field. The visitors outscored the home team for the first time that night 34-26, but Antonius Cleveland kept Texas on top with a 10-point effort. Marcus Lee took advantage of the two-point difference to start the fourth with a three-point play to get Sioux Falls back on top. Three minutes in, the Skyforce had a six-point edge, but Payne had other plans. The Legends' leading scorer lit up the final nine minutes with 19 points, knocking down 6-of-10 and 3-of-5 outside. Texas hit 4-of-4 from the free throw line in the final seconds to keep their eight-point edge and win the season series 2-1.
Payne had a team-high 30 points with 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, and a block. Cleveland also had a full stat line with 21 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, and a block. Fields came off the bench for 17 points, 6 assists, joined by Moses Brown and Jaylen Hoard with 16 points each. Brown also grabbed 10 rebounds, 3 blocks and Hoard added 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal. Dakota Mathias pitched in 12 points and 5 rebounds to round out the double-digit scoring.
Jarrett Jack led all scorers with 32 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists for the Skyforce. Daryl Macon finished with 17 points, 3 rebounds, and Marcus Lee added a double-double of 15 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Bubu Palo and Reed grabbed 12 points each and Gabe Vincent tallied 11 points, 3 rebounds.
Texas finishes up their three-game homestand tomorrow night hosting the Northern Arizona Suns at 7:30pm. For tickets or information call 214-469-0822 or visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 29, 2020
- Hustle Drop Second of Back-To-Back against Salt Lake City - Memphis Hustle
- NAZ Suns No Match for Legends in Texas - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Best Bulls Behind Big Double-Double from Koumadje - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Magic on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Pierre Jackson Captains South Bay to Victory over Clippers - South Bay Lakers
- Magic Top Drive on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Greensboro Falls to College Park - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Run Away with Game against Wolves in Oklahoma City - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Loses at Delaware, 122-99 - Windy City Bulls
- Waters, Brown Lead Red Claws to Win - Maine Red Claws
- Westchester Succumbs to Loss against Conference Leaders - Westchester Knicks
- Herd Stampedes Past Knickerbockers 115-108 - Wisconsin Herd
- Charge Go-Go for Eighth Straight Home Win - Canton Charge
- Minnesota Timberwolves Assign Jacob Evans III and Jarred Vanderbilt to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Alum Keith Wright - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Waive Reggis Onwukamuche - Lakeland Magic
- Warriors Defeat Vipers, 130-128, on Jeremy Pargo Game Winner - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Payne Goes Full Force in the Fourth to Lead Legends over Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- PRJKT VET Logo to Go on Legends' Court
- Legends Build "ConNEXTions" Youth Mentorship Program
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Legends' Home Comerica Center to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Legends Host Voter Registration Event Sep. 22nd