Drive Fall to Magic on Saturday Night
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Grand Rapids (24-16) Drive fell to the Lakeland Magic (22-17) after a hard-fought fourth quarter that brought the Drive within striking distance late. The Drive welcomed nearly 5,000 fans that packed the DeltaPlex as they hosted Ben Wallace Bobblehead Night.
Comparably, the stat lines for both teams were within margins except for the shooting performances as Grand Rapids struggled to connect their shots tonight, shooting 42% (37-89) from the field and 27% (9-33) from beyond the arc compared to 60% (41-68) from the field and 50% (13-26) from the three-point line for Lakeland.
Orlando assignee Melvin Frazier Jr. was a bright spot for the visiting team tonight, earning 27 points, 3 rebounds and 2 steals. Orlando two-way player BJ Johnson added another 23 points to the mix with 7 rebounds and 2 steals. Amile Jefferson returned to the Magic and added an impressive double-double, with 10 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. Josh Magette contributed an additional 19 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds and 4 steals.
The Drive was led by Pistons two-way player Louis King with a team-high 18 points, 3 rebounds and 2 steals. Todd Withers followed up with 16 points and 7 rebounds. Big man Adam Woodbury just missed a double-double with 8 points, and 10 rebounds. Other Drive players in double figures were Tra-Deon Hollins (13 points, 7 assists & 3 steals), Khalil Iverson (11 points & 9 rebounds) and Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone (10 points, 5 assists & 2 steals).
The Drive clawed their way back into the game after being down by as many as 27 due to their stronger presence in the paint, racking up 50 points compared to 42 for the Magic. The Drive also topped the visiting team in fast break points 16-6 but ultimately, Grand Rapids was unable to convert enough of their attempts into points to take the lead.
The Drive and Lakeland will be back in action on Friday, March 6, with both tip-offs starting at 7 p.m. local time. The Drive will hit the road to face the Maine Red Claws at the Portland Expo Building. Lakeland will take on the Long Island Nets at NYCB LIVE's Nassau Coliseum.
Highlights:Full Game >>> https://bit.ly/2Tsw6Gn
Box Score >>> http://on.nba.com/2VvMZmn
Standings >>> https://on.nba.com/2VwIUhw
Louis King (18pts & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2wfYmUL
Todd Withers (16pts & 7reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2vrURdR
Tra-Deon Hollins (13pts, 7ast & 3stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2I6mjAB
Khalil Iverson (11pts & 9reb) >>> https://bit.ly/32BP2qi
Jordan Bone (10pts, 5ast & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2I6mko9
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 29, 2020
- Hustle Drop Second of Back-To-Back against Salt Lake City - Memphis Hustle
- NAZ Suns No Match for Legends in Texas - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Coats Best Bulls Behind Big Double-Double from Koumadje - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Fall to Magic on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Pierre Jackson Captains South Bay to Victory over Clippers - South Bay Lakers
- Magic Top Drive on Saturday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Greensboro Falls to College Park - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Run Away with Game against Wolves in Oklahoma City - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Loses at Delaware, 122-99 - Windy City Bulls
- Waters, Brown Lead Red Claws to Win - Maine Red Claws
- Westchester Succumbs to Loss against Conference Leaders - Westchester Knicks
- Herd Stampedes Past Knickerbockers 115-108 - Wisconsin Herd
- Charge Go-Go for Eighth Straight Home Win - Canton Charge
- Minnesota Timberwolves Assign Jacob Evans III and Jarred Vanderbilt to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Alum Keith Wright - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Waive Reggis Onwukamuche - Lakeland Magic
- Warriors Defeat Vipers, 130-128, on Jeremy Pargo Game Winner - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Payne Goes Full Force in the Fourth to Lead Legends over Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Drive Stories
- Grand Rapids Drive Opt out of 2020-21 NBA G League Season
- Hall and Hollins Earn All-NBA G League Honors
- Drive, Griffins, Whitecaps and WMSC Unite as "One Team for West Michigan"
- Drive Set to Donate to Local Organizations
- Drive Statement on NBA G League Suspension