Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps
Bowling Green, KY - Steven Moya robbed Drew Vettleson of a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning on Wednesday afternoon at Bowling Green Ballpark, and the West Michigan Whitecaps (33-33) held on to beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (35-31) 4-2. The loss, accompanied with a South Bend win, moves the Whitecaps and the Silver Hawks into a second place tie for the Eastern Division First Half Wild Card with four games to play.
Moya's third-inning grand slam was the only offense for the Whitecaps in Wednesday's middle game of the three-game set. With two outs in the ninth, his phenomenal catch occurred just a few pitches after Vettleson appeared to smack a grand slam, but the ball sailed foul in right field. The catch eliminated the Hot Rods' chance of shrinking their magic number to two.
Trailing early on by four runs, the Hot Rods were able to chip away at the Whitecap lead. Todd Glaesmann doubled home Ryan Brett in the third inning, and Jeff Malm hit a solo home run in the sixth. The Hot Rods loaded the bases in the ninth inning, but both Juniel Querecuto and Vettleson flew out to end the game.
Jake Partridge set the Hot Rods up with a chance to win the game in the ninth, throwing six shutout innings of relief on the back of Andrew Bellatti, who lasted three innings in a spot start. Despite the loss, the Hot Rods still control their own destiny for a first half playoff berth. With wins in three of their final four contests, Bowling Green will earn the Wild Card berth.
Bowling Green and West Michigan will bring their three-game series to an end with the rubber match on Thursday night at 7:05 PM at Bowling Green Ballpark. The Hot Rods will give the start to LHP Felipe Rivero (6-4, 2.12), while the Whitecaps will counter with RHP Tommy Collier (4-5, 2.66). Tune in to the game on 1340-AM "The Ticket" and online at 1340wbgn.com. The Forever Communications Pregame Show with Hank Fuerst begins at 6:45 PM CDT.
Thursday night is another Thrifty Thursday at the ballpark where fans can enjoy $2 food and drink specials. The Hot Rods will be wearing USA-themed jerseys to raise awareness and funds for USA Cares as a part of USA Cares Night. For ticket information, log on to BGHotRods.com or call 270-901-2121.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Will Host 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game at Bowling Green Ballpark
- Eric Leach Named Midwest League 2019 Executive of the Year
- Hot Rods Blow Lead in Ninth, Watch Season End with 7-4 Loss
- Hot Rods Game Notes: MWL Quarterfinals Game 1
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale