Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A Burlington grand slam capped the biggest of three big innings which spurred the visitors as Cedar Rapids fell 14-9 on Wednesday. The Bees (30-35) scored four runs in the third inning to break a 1-1 tie with back-to-back home runs. Both Nick Rickels 3-run shot and Ryan Pineda's solo sequel were hit over the left field porch.
In the next inning, the Bees scored four runs via one long ball with a 2-out grand slam by Wade Kirkland. Part of a 5-run inning, the Bees lead 10-2 after the fourth. Burlington scored their final four in the seventh inning on a bases loaded walk - one of 14 base on balls issued by Kernels pitchers - along with a 2-RBI double and a wild pitch.
The Kernels (28-38) didn't play from behind the whole game, as the home team had an early lead on a first inning run. Frazier Hall ripped a two-out, full count pitch in the bottom of the first frame, and Kaleb Cowart scored on the play from second base right after he recorded his eighth stolen base of the season. The Kernels led again in the second inning when Zach Borenstein hit his first home run of the season, a solo shot which made the score 2-1.
Cedar Rapids didn't score again until the sixth inning. The first of two runs in the frame came on an RBI single by Andy Workman. Hall then scored in between the first and second outs of a double play, with the run counting because the final out was not a force.
Chevy Clarke accounted for the final five Kernels runs, in contrasting ways. He reached on an error in the seventh inning before Kaleb Cowart singled him home.
In the eighth inning, after the bases loaded on two singles and an error, Clarke came to the plate. The center fielder fell down 0-2 in the count before three straight balls, then crushed the payoff pitch to right field for a grand slam which put the score at its final tally.
The Angels first draft pick of 2012 - third-rounder R.J. Alvarez - shined in his one-inning professional debut. The right-hander struck out all three Bees he faced in the sixth inning. Catcher and 2012 draft pick Zach Wright scored a run along with one hit in his professional debut.
Jairo Diaz (2-7) took the loss for Cedar Rapids after he allowed seven runs in 3-plus innings. Raul Alcantara (4-6) earned the victory for the Bees in a 5 inning start, despite allowing four runs.
The Kernels conclude the home stand on Thursday evening at 6:35 vs. Burlington. The Kernels go back to the 1970s as it is 70's Night. Come dressed in your favorite 70's attire, enjoy video blasts from the pasts, and take in the music of the 70s. Also, enjoy 12 oz. domestic draft beer for $1.50 and 20 oz. bottles of soda and water for just $2.00 on Z 102.9 Thirsty Thursday! Also, the Midwest Dueling Pianos, presented by USA Entertainment Agency, will perform during and after the game! Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com. Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.