Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Leading 5-2 into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Kane County Cougars were unable to hang on as they fell to the Quad Cities River Bandits, 6-5, in 10 innings, on Wednesday night at Modern Woodmen Park.
Angel Baez tossed three scoreless innings of relief before he walked Tyler Rahmatulla to begin the ninth inning. Rahmatulla quickly scored on a two-run homer from Anthony Garcia to pull the River Bandits (32-34) within one. Virgil Hill singled with one out while Casey Rasmus bounced into a fielder's choice to replace Hill at first. Rasmus scored the tying run on a double by pinch-hitter Luis Mateo, which sent the game to extra innings.
Travis Miller worked a scoreless top of the 10th inning while Quad Cities grabbed the winning run in the bottom of the 10th against Matt Ridings (4-3) as Garcia doubled to the left-center field gap, scoring Colin Walsh all the way home from first. Robinson Yambati started for the Cougars (34-32) and tossed five frames while surrendering two runs on four hits.
Yambati was given the lead in the first thanks to a two-run double by Jorge Bonifacio. Bonifacio added two more RBI in the ninth with a base hit to put the Cougars up by three. Dail Villanueva started for the River Bandits and walked five in 3.1 innings while allowing three runs. One of the walks was to Justin Trapp with the bases loaded.
The Cougars play the finale of a three-game series against the River Bandits on Thursday night from Modern Woodmen Park at 7:00. Right-hander Jason Mitchell (1-4) is expected to start for the Cougars against lefty Jonathan Cornelius (1-2). You can listen to the broadcast on AM 1280 WBIG and www.kccougars.com, beginning with Cougars on Deck at 6:45 p.m. The Cougars return to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Friday when they take on the Cedar Rapids Kernels at 6:30 p.m. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com.
6:45 PM (CT) Pre-Game Show, 7:00 First Pitch on WBIG 1280-AM & kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.