Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains
EASTLAKE, OHIO - The South Bend Silver Hawks (33-33) escaped a bases-loaded jam in the ninth inning Wednesday and held on to beat the Lake County Captains 5-4 in front of 4,375 fans at Classic Park. With the win, the Silver Hawks snapped a season-long three-game losing streak.
Right-hander Tyler Green (2-3) earned the win for the Silver Hawks, allowing four earned runs on seven hits over five innings. Cole Cook (2-2) took the loss out of the Captains bullpen, surrendering one unearned run on two hits over two innings.
With the Hawks leading by a run in the ninth inning, the Captains loaded the bases with just one out. Right-hander Kable Hogben got Leonardo Castillo to line out to shortstop and got Robel Garcia to fly out deep to right-center field to end the game. Hogben earned his second save of the season.
The Silver Hawks took the early 2-0 lead in the first inning on a two-run home run from Matt Helm, his third of the season. The Silver Hawks never trailed in the game, although the Captains briefly tied the game in the fourth inning.
Ender Inciarte and Gerson Montilla each recorded two hits for the Silver Hawks. Montilla extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
The Hawks advantage swelled to 3-0 in the second inning on an RBI double from newcomer Raul Navarro.
After Luigi Rodriguez's two-run home run in the third inning, the Silver Hawks and Captains traded blows in the fourth inning. Fidel Pena scored on a throwing error from Captains starter Felix Sterling, before the Captains tied the game 4-4 with an RBI triple from Leonardo Castillo and an RBI single from Zach MacPhee.
Pena's RBI single in the fifth inning gave the Hawks a 5-4 lead they would not relinquish.
Right-hander Matt Sample worked two scoreless innings out of the Hawks bullpen and allowed four hits. The Captains loaded the bases against Sample in the seventh inning, but did not score.
Jake Barrett, a third-round pick in this year's draft, tossed a three-up, three-down eighth inning in his professional debut.
The Captains left a season-high 13 runners on base.
The Silver Hawks wrap up the three-game series with the Lake County Captains Thursday at Classic Park. First pitch is on tap for 7:00 P.M. EST. Right-hander Blake Perry (0-1, 9.31) starts for South Bend and he will be opposed by left-hander Elvis Araujo (2-5, 3.88). The Silver Hawks return home on Friday, June 15, to take on the West Michigan Whitecaps at 7:35 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Silver Hawks Stories
- Silver Hawks Set New Single Season Attendance Record
- Hot Rods Lap Hawks in Fast and Furious Sixth Inning
- Hawks Hold Back Tempest, Calm Whitecaps 5-3
- Silver Hawks' Players Named as 2014 Midwest League Post Season All-Stars
- Hawks Top 'Caps on Williams' Walk-Off Blast