Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs
Beloit, WI- The night began with a chance for the Beloit Snappers to clinch a spot in the postseason, but that idea was quickly spoiled as the Peoria Chiefs scored three runs off of Steven Gruver in the top of the first inning and went on to win the game 7-1. The Chiefs scored on a fielding error by Miguel Sano, scoring Zeke DeVoss who bunt singled giving them a 1-0 lead. Peoria kept it going as they went on to score another run when Javier Baez hit an RBI single scoring Dustin Geiger. Things went from bad to worse for Gruver, as Yasiel Balaguert hit an RBI single scoring Wes Darvill.
The Chiefs struck again in the third as Yasiel Balaguert hit a solo home run that put Peoria up by four. After the Chiefs scored two more runs in the fourth, Dustin Geiger hit a solo home run to deep left field to put Peoria up by a score of 7-0.
The Snappers lone run came in the bottom of the seventh inning as J.D. Willams hit a one out double to center field, and then A.J. Pettersen followed with an RBI single to the opposite field to drive in the run. Pettersen is now 3-for-7 in the series with three RBIs and a run scored.
Tommorow will be the rubber game of the three game series against the Peoria Chiefs at 7:00PM. Tyler Jones (0-2, 2.37 ERA) takes the mound for the Snappers and he will go up against Kyler Burke (2-2, 2.13 ERA) who makes the start for the Chiefs. Due to a Kane County loss to Quad Cities on Wednesday night, the Snappers have a chance to clinch the Midwest League Western Division Wild Card championship with a win on Thursday as Beloit's magic number has dropped to one.
Also, Snappy needs your help in the Mascot Mania Tournament. Snappy is currently facing Orbit, of the Albuquerque Isotopes, in the final four. You can help by voting at http://www.milb.com/milb/fans/mascot_mania/y2012/index.jsp.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.