Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (30-35) fell to the South Bend Silver Hawks (33-33) by a score of 5-4. The Captains were four for eleven with runners in scoring position and left thirteen runners stranded on the base paths. The Captains loaded the bases in the ninth with just one out but came up empty and dropped the ballgame.
The Silver Hawks scored first in the first inning when Chris Ellison singled to center field to start the ballgame. Matt Helm pummeled a pitch over the wall in left field wall for a two run homerun his third of the season and South Bend was up a pair to start the game. South Bend added a run in the second inning, Ender Inciarte singled and scored when Raul Navarro doubled to right field and Inciate scampered home from first base to make the score 3-0 South Bend after two innings.
The Captains cut into the lead when Luigi Rodriguez hit a two run homer to right field after Zach MacPhee singled with one out in the bottom of the third. The homer was Luigi's third of the season the Lake County cut the lead to 3-2. In the top of the In the top of the fourth, Fidel Pena walked and moved to second on a base hit by Inciarte. The Silver Hawks decided to have a delayed steal and successfully completed the double steal. On the throw to third, by the Captains Felix Sterling, the ball skipped pass Leonardo Castillo and into left field. That throwing error allowed Pena to score and Inciarte to get to third base. The run made it 4-2 Silver Hawks.
Lake County tied the game in the bottom of the fourth inning. Todd Hankins was hit by a pitch and later scored on an RBI triple by Leonardo Castillo. The score was 4-3. Castillo later scored on an RBI single by Zach MacPhee and the score was deadlocked at 4-4. MacPhee had three hits on the afternoon. South Bend took the lead in the top of the fifth inning when a run came home after a single by Gerson Montilla and then a error allowed Matt Helm to reach and Montilla to move to second base. Fidel Pena singled home Montilla and the Silver Hawks won 5-4.
RHP Tyler Green (2-3) was the starter for the Silver Hawks and earned the win. Green has two wins on the season they have both came against the Captains. Green went five innings and allowed seven hits, four runs, four earned runs two walks and seven strikeouts. Green also gave up the homerun by Luigi Rodriguez. The South Bend bullpen pitched four scoreless innings to close out the ballgame. In fact, Kable Hogben earned the save his second of the season after pitching a scoreless ninth inning.
RHP Felix Sterling (3-5) got the start for the Captains and did not factor into the decision. Felix just went four innings and allowed six hits four runs three were earned one walk and struck out two. Sterling also allowed a homerun to Matt Helm, it was the 12th homer of the year allowed by Felix. Cole Cook (2-2) took the loss after pitching two innings allowing two hits, one un-earned and fanned two. Manny Carmona pitched two scoreless innings and Francisco Valera pitched a scoreless ninth for the Captains.
Thursday is Thirsty Thursday, presented by ESPN 850 WKNR and will feature a .25-cent beer Happy Hour for one hour before game time and half-price draft beer and fountain soda until 9 PM. Thursday is also be Date Night, presented by Fisher's Jewelers at Shoregate, which gives couples the opportunity to purchase two tickets to The Officer's Club Suite and two meal vouchers, a $56 value, for only $30. Game time is 7:00 PM. The Captains will send LHP Elvis Araujo (2-5, 3.88) to the mound to start the game, he will be opposed by RHP Blake Perry (0-1, 9.31)
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.