Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announce that RHP R.J. Alvarez and second baseman Alex Yarbrough will join the Kernels, LHP Eswarlin Jimenez has been placed on the 7-day DL and OF Ryan Jones has been promoted to Inland Empire. Mike LaCassa, Minor League Operations Manager for the LA Angels, announced the move on Wednesday.
Alvarez and Yarbrough are the Angels' first two selections (third and fourth round) in the 2012 First Year Player Draft.
Alvarez was taken in the third round out of Florida Atlantic University. The Royal Palm Beach, FL native posted a 5-0 record and 0.72 ERA in 22 relief appearances for the Owls, allowing 20 hits and five runs (three earned) in 37.2 IP. He notched nine saves, struck out 47, walked only ten and had a .157 BA against.
Wright was selected in the fourth round out of Old Miss. He is a native of Allen, TX and in 62 games for the Rebels, he hit .380 with 17 doubles, three HR and 43 RBI. He had a .989 fielding percentage, committing just three errors in 268 total chances.
Jones was a member of the Kernels 2012 Opening Day roster and leaves the team as the leader with a .295 BA. In 58 games, he has 4 HR and 27 RBI and is tied for second in the MWL with five triples.
Jimenez goes on the DL with blisters on his pitching hand. He left after the fourth inning in Monday's 6-2 win over Clinton. In 14 games (10 starts) for the Kernels, he has a 2-4 record and 4.53 ERA, allowing 72 hits and 34 runs (29 earned) in 57.2 IP.
Alvarez and Yarbrough are active and available for tonight's 6:35 pm game with the Burlington Bees. With today's transactions, the Kernels roster remains at the MWL maximum of 25 active players, with three players on the disabled list.
The Kernels continue the current six game home stand with a 6:35 pm game against the Burlington Bees, the Midwest League affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. The current home stand continues through Thursday, June 14th.
Morgan Hawk brings you all of the play-by-play on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM. Fans may listen on-line at www.kmryradio.com, or www.kernels.com .
Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.kernels.com, or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.