Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Lansing Lugnuts' (45-20) Anthony DeSclafani and Noah Syndergaard combined to shut out the Fort Wayne TinCaps (31-35), 7-0, on Wednesday night at Parkview Field.
It was the Lugnuts' Midwest League-leading 10th shutout of the year, forcing a rubber match in the three-game series on Thursday. Lansing's pitching staff has given up eight hits and one run in the first two games of the series, lowering its league-best ERA to 2.69.
Only two base runners reached second base against Anthony DeSclafani (Win, 5-1), who tossed five innings for the first time in his career and did not allow a run on four hits while walking one and striking out three.
Noah Syndergaard earned the first save of his professional career by throwing four scoreless innings to finish the game. The flame-throwing righty matched a season-high with six strikeouts while walking two.
All-Star righty Adys Portillo (Loss, 4-4) struck out six in five innings of work, but surrendered three runs on four hits.
K.C. Hobson and Gustavo Pierre homered to back the shutout effort in the nine-hit offensive attack, Hobson's sixth of the season, Pierre's first.
Kenny Wilson drove in two runs, scored twice in his third three-hit game of the season.
Chris Hawkins drove in a pair of runs, stole a base and scored a run in a 1-for-5 evening.
The rubber match of this three-game series is scheduled for Thursday, June 14th, at 7:05 p.m. Lefty David Rollins (5-0, 3.21) will start for the Lugs opposite TinCaps righty Matt Wisler (2-3, 2.59).
The Lugnuts' next home game will take place on Friday, June 22nd, opening the second half against the Great Lakes Loons. Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.