Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Lansing Lugnuts proved their worth as the league's top team on Wednesday night at Parkview Field, blanking the Fort Wayne TinCaps 7-0. It was the first time the TinCaps have been held scoreless this season. Lansing's Anthony DeSclafani and Noah Syndergaard combined to allow seven hits and strike out nine in the Lansing victory.
Fort Wayne (31-35) fell behind 1-0 in the second inning on a solo home run by K.C. Hobson. TinCaps starter Adys Portillo (4-4) surrendered two more runs, one of which was unearned, in the third inning, allowing Lansing to advance to a 3-0 lead. Portillo worked five innings, surrendering four hits, three runs, two of them earned, walking two and striking out six.
Lansing (45-20) pitching was dominant throughout, allowing just one hit over the first three innings. DeSclafani went a career-high five innings for the victory. He allowed four hits, walked two and struck out three. Syndergaard worked the final four innings, giving up three hits, walking two and striking out six. He earned his first career save.
The TinCaps went 0-6 with runners in scoring position, and stranded eight men on base.
Fort Wayne is the last Midwest League team to be shut out this season. Every other team in the league had been blanked at least once.
The rubber match of the series is scheduled for 7:05 PM on Thursday night. The scheduled starters are Colin Rea for Fort Wayne and David Rollins for Lansing.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Bees Beat Kernels, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Lose Battle to Dragons - Great Lakes Loons
- LumberKings Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Walks off at Home against Kane County, 6-5 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Drop a Heartbreaker - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Lose, But Inch Closer to Playoffs - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Keep Playoff Hopes Alive with 7-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin beats Clinton 4-2 to win sixth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Rally to Win, 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Blank TinCaps, 7-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Whitewash TinCaps, 7-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars' Mateo Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Vettleson Nearly the Hero, Moya Saves 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Announce Playoff Ticket Packages for 2012 Postseason - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Helm Goes Deep, Hawks Squeak Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Silver Hawks Soar to 5-4 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Angels top picks R.J. Alvarez and Alex Yarbrough join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cononie Added to Roster, Floethe to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Little League Recognition Day Returns to Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award
- Fort Wayne Ranks No. 6 Among Minor League Markets