Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita
Wichita, Kansas - Treysen Vavra hit a single-game franchise record three doubles, and Trevor Simms pitched six strong innings en route to a series clinching 6-2 victory for Chicago over the Wichita Wingnuts Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Vavra's three doubles were part of a six-double night for the Dogs, as Chicago won for the tenth time in 15 August games.
Saturday's game was a seesaw affair early as the two teams traded blows through the first four innings before Chicago pushed in front for good in the top of the fifth inning.
Kenny Wilson hit a two-out double in the top of the fifth and later scored on a wild pitch to push the Dogs in front 3-2.
The Dogs tacked on a run of insurance in the top of the eighth inning thanks to a Stephen Perez RBI ground out, and two more in the top of the ninth inning as Vavra plated two runs with his third double of the game.
Simms allowed two earned runs over six innings in his sixth start of the season for Chicago. The right-hander scattered seven hits and earned his second victory of the year.
The Dogs bullpen pitched the final three innings scoreless and now has not allowed an earned run in 17.2 consecutive innings.
Wilson finished the game 3-5, while Matt Dean, Edwin Arroyo, and Tony Rosselli each collected two-hit games for the Dogs.
The Chicago win, coupled with a Winnipeg loss Saturday night, moves the Dogs into sole possession of fourth place in the American Association's North division for the first time since May 20. The Dogs are now 36-47 on the year. Wichita drops to 51-34 on the year with the loss.
The Dogs will look to sweep Wichita in the series finale Sunday at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Chicago will send right-hander Wes Torrez to the mound for his first start of the year, while the Wingnuts will counter with Travis Banwart.
First pitch Sunday is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 12:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.