RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late
GARY, Ind. - Patrick Fiala hit a game-tying home run late, but an eighth-inning sacrifice fly gave the Gary SouthShore RailCats a 4-3 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries on Saturday night at the U.S. Steel Yard.
The game started out as a pitchers' duel. Birds righty Jake Esch and RailCats Starter Keaton Steele kept the game 0-0 into the fifth inning.
The Canaries loaded the bases with two outs in both the third and fifth innings, but both frames ended with a Jordan Dean flyout to right.
The RailCats opened the scoring in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI single by Tillman Pugh.
Four batters later, Andy Paz gave the RailCats the lead with a two-run single to make it 3-0 Gary SouthShore.
The Canaries responded right away. David Bergin led off the sixth inning with a double, and Jeff Malm hit a single to right to bring Bergin home and make it 3-1.
The Canaries tied the game at 3 in the eighth on a two-run home run by Patrick Fiala, his ninth of the year.
The RailCats retook the lead against Will LaMarche in the eighth. Andy Paz reached on a hit by pitch, and D.K. Carey reached after Maxx Garrett made an error fielding a sacrifice bunt attempt.
Two batters later, Will Savage hit a sacrifice fly to make it 4-3 RailCats.
Jorge De Leon worked a 1-2-3 ninth to lock down the win.
The Canaries and RailCats meet for the finale of their three-game set on Sunday at 2 p.m. Mark Seyler will start for the Canaries; Jeff McKenzie will get the nod for the RailCats. Birds fans can listen to the game on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN and online on kwsn.com and the KWSN app.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.