Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two
WICHITA, Kan. (Aug. 18, 2018) - Three more scoreless innings from the Chicago Dogs bullpen and three more late runs were enough to best the Wichita Wingnuts 5-2 on Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts (51-34) scored the game's first run on a Chase Simpson solo homer in the second, but Chicago (36-47) answered with two runs in the fourth on a Treysen Vavra RBI double and Tony Rosselli RBI single for a 2-1 lead. Wichita scratched out a run in the fourth when Simpson scored on a wild pitch from Trevor Simms (2-3), but Tyler Kane (5-3) threw a wild pitch of his own in the next half inning to score Kenny Wilson for a 3-2 Chicago lead.
The Dogs got scoreless innings from reliever Brandon Shimo, Kaohi Downing and Taylor Grover, allowing only one hit over the final three innings. Meanwhile, Chicago's offense dented the Wichita bullpen for the second straight night, scoring an unearned run in the eighth on Stephen Perez's fielder's choice and then adding two more in the ninth on a two-run double from Vavra that produced the game's final margin. Vavra finished with three doubles in the game, and the Dogs combined for six two-baggers on the evening.
Kane took the loss for Wichita despite a quality start, going six innings while allowing three runs on seven hits. Simms picked up the win for Chicago, covering six innings while allowing seven hits and two runs.
The Wingnuts conclude their series with the Dogs on Sunday afternoon. Righty Travis Banwart (6-3, 2.46) starts for Wichita, while Chicago will counter with righty Wes Torrez (0-0, 0.00). First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.