Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes lost 2-0 to the Sioux City Explorers at Shaw Park on Saturday evening.
With the game scoreless in the top of the seventh, Dean Green and Jay Baum opened the inning with back-to-back groundball singles. After Blake Schmit beat out a sacrifice attempt to load the bases with no outs, the Explorers took a 1-0 lead on a Dylan Kelly RBI fielder's choice. Dexture McCall followed with a line drive single to right that scored Baum.
Former Major League left-hander Patrick Schuster relieved Sioux City starter Dominic Topoozian in the bottom of the seventh with two outs and the tying run at the plate. Schuster retired all four batters to face him over the seventh and eighth innings before Eric Karch pitched a scoreless bottom of the ninth to earn his 21st save of the year.
Topoozian (1-0) picked up the win, pitching six and two-thirds shutout innings on six hits. Topoozian walked one and struck out one.
Goldeyes' starter Mitchell Lambson (8-4) took the loss, allowing two earned runs on eight hits in eight innings. Lambson walked none, struck out three, and pitched into the seventh inning or later for an eighth consecutive start.
The series concludes Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.