Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish
Sioux City, IA - The Sioux City Explorers won the first game of their six game road trip north, as they beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes 6-2.
Jose Sermo crushed his 16th home run of the year in the second inning to give the X's a 1-0 lead.
The X's tacked on another run in the third as Dexture McCall lead it off with a double and then was immediately brought home by a Luis Durango single to make it 2-0 Sioux City.
Winnipeg's Tucker Nathans went deep in the bottom of the third for his ninth of the year, and the two run shot tied the game 2-2.
That was the only mistake that Explorers starter Justin Vernia would make. Vernia (10-1) earned the win and quality start by going 6.1 innings, allowing just the 2 runs as he scattered 8 hits, struck out and walked only 1.
Sioux City grabbed the lead back for good in the fifth when Dexture McCall doubled for the second time in the game. He would score on a two out single by Michael Lang. Lang would set the Explorers all time record for career at bats with his 1,809th on a ground out to third in the eighth inning.
Sioux City would add some insurance runs in the eighth inning. Nate Samson walked with one out in the inning. He got to second on a wild pitch and with two outs in the inning Dean Green brought home Samson with a base hit to make it 4-2 X's. That began a hit parade for Sioux City as the next three consecutive batters would also reach on singles. Baum, Schmit who drove home Green and Kelly who drove in Baum. The Explorers scored three runs in the eighth and ended up leading 6-2.
Parker Markel had been called out of the bullpen for Sioux City with two outs in the bottom of the seventh with the X's leading 3-2 and the tying run on base. Markel was able to strike out Reggie Abercrombie and then set down the next six Goldeyes he faced to end the game as he struck out five total picking up the seven out save, his fourth of the year.
The Explorers and Goldeyes will play game two of the series on Saturday with first pitch set for 6:00.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.