Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win
GARY, Ind. - An eighth inning sacrifice fly from Will Savage and the final four outs from former MLB pitcher Jorge De Leon in relief sealed the Gary SouthShore RailCats 4-3 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries on AmeriCAN Beer Fest and Indana Country Night. Gary's nail-biting victory was their fourth straight and can move them back into first place in the North Division with a St. Paul Saints defeat.
Gary (48-35) ended Jake Esch's consecutive scoreless innings stretch at 19 innings with three runs in the fifth. Will Savage tripled into the right field corner on the first pitch of the frame before Tillman Pugh brought Savage home with one out for the first run of the night on an RBI single into center past a Canaries drawn-in infield. Pugh's RBI single also increased his on-base streak to 30 games. Back-to-back singles from Randy Santiesteban and Colin Willis loaded the bases for Andy Paz after Ronnie Mitchell struck out for the second out. Paz came through with a two-out, two-run single into center, plating both Pugh and Satiesteban, and extended his season-high hitting streak to 18 games.
Sioux Falls (34-41) avoided being shutout with a run in the sixth. David Bergin doubled off the center field wall on a hop to begin the inning before Jeff Malm scored Bergin with an RBI single to center.
The Canaries tied the game at 3-3 on Patrick Fiala's two-run home run in the top of the eighth. Malm recorded the first hit off Jack Fowler with a one-out opposite-field single before Fiala blasted his ninth home run of the year.
The RailCats answered right back in the bottom of the eighth on Savage's sacrifice fly to obtain the lead for good. Paz was hit to begin the inning before stealing second. D.K. Carey then advanced Paz to third with a sacrifice bunt before Savage brought home Paz with the game-winning run.
De Leon (1-0) retired four of the six batters he faced, two via strikeouts, in his first win of the year. The third-year RailCat yielded two hits, walked none and struck out two. Will LaMarche (1-2) was charged with the loss after yielding an unearned run in the bottom of the eighth.
Sunday's series finale vs. Sioux Falls includes another pre-game catch on the field, presented by Dr. Geissler's Hearing Center, Kids Run the Bases, Sunday Funday and Times Family Sunday. Sunday's contest also features a team card set giveaway to the first 1,000 fans through the gates. Sunday Funday includes $5 cocktails and show your NWI.com social media or hard copy coupon at the box office and you receive tickets for two adults and four kids for just $10. Bring your ball and glove to the game as fans will get to play catch on the outfield grass before first pitch and remember to stick around after the game as kids get to run the bases after the final out.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- 'Cats Drop Fifth Straight Series Opener in 16-5 Loss to Dogs
- RailCats Sign Avon, Ind., Native Strobel, Activate Price Jr. from Inactive List
- Walraven's Two 3-Run Homers Leads Gary to 10-7 Win and Series Split
- RailCats Activate Akanuma from Disabled List
- Tech Startup Launches in Gary, IN