T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - On Friday, the Kansas City T-Bones signed IF Anthony Phillips and he started as the T-Bones defeated the Cleburne Railroaders in a 6-5 walk-off win that went 11 innings at T-Bones Stadium. To make room for Phillips, the club has released OF Logan Moon.
Anthony Phillips joins KC after spending time with the St. Paul Saints this season and beginning the year with the Colorado Rockies organization. Phillips, a 28-year-old native of Bellville, South Africa, played 34 games for the Saints hitting .242 with a home run and 16 RBIs. In two stops with Colorado, Phillips played in 14 games at AAA Albuquerque with two home runs and nine RBIs and another six games at AA Hartford in the Eastern League going 5 for 25.
In 2017, Phillips played 99 games for AA Hartford with four homers and 24 RBIs, hitting .209. Phillips spent the 2016 season at AA Arkansas in the Texas League for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. In 114 games, he hit .259 with one home run and 37 RBIs in the Texas League. Phillips had his first stay with St. Paul in 2015, playing 91 games for the Saints, hitting .269 with two home runs and 35 RBIs.
Phillips spent 2014 with the Philadelphia Phillies organization, splitting time with three different levels in the minor league system. He spent 57 games hitting .229 with a home run and two RBIs another 31 games at AA Reading and two games at High-A Lakewood. Combined he hit .230 at all three stops with two home runs and 24 RBIs.
The short stop began his baseball career with the Seattle Mariners organization, where he spent parts of six seasons. He climbed the ladder from rookie level in 2007 to AAA Tacoma in the Pacific Coast League. He played a career-high 124 games at High-A High Desert in the California League in 2013 hitting at a .259 clip with nine long balls and 43 RBIs.
At the age of 16 in 2006, Phillips was signed by former big-leaguer turned-scout Pat Kelly. Kelly has served in various international baseball roles in Australia and has scouted the southern hemisphere for several organizations since his playing days were over. Phillips was spotted by Kelly during the 2006 U16 World Baseball Championships in Cuba with the South African Team.
Logan Moon, released Friday, joined Kansas City from nearby AAA Omaha in the Pacific Coast League. The Blue Springs, Missouri native was drafted in the 6th round of the 2014 June amateur draft by the Kansas City Royals. While with the Storm Chasers, Moon played in 34 games in 2018, hitting .193 with 12 RBIs. He spent most of his time in the outfield adding two games as a designated hitter. For the T-Bones Moon played in 19 games with an RBI and finished with a .232 average.
The T-Bones are in action both Saturday and Sunday, continuing their three-game series homestand with the Cleburne Railroaders. The club is in the thick of the playoff race with a one-and-a-half-game lead in the South Division Wild Card race of the American Association.
Season, group tickets, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.