Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish
Winnipeg, MB - Dominic Topoozian was excellent in his first start for the Explorers as he lead the way to a 2-0 shut out of the Winnipeg Goldeyes.
Topoozian was making his first start of the 2018 season after appearing out of the bullpen seven times this year for Sioux City. Topoozian went 6.2 shut out innings against the Goldeyes. He scattered 6 hits and walked and struck out 1. Topoozian was able to get the Goldeyes to ground into three double plays that helped limit the traffic on the base paths. Topoozian never allowed a Goldeye to reach third base while he was on the mound.
Mitchell Lambson for the Goldeyes though was equally as good as he took a tough luck loss going 8 innings of 2 run ball, allowing 8 hits and striking out 3 and not walking a batter.
The Explorers finally got to Lambson in the seventh inning as for the second straight night they went on a hit parade. Three straight singles to start the inning by Dean Green, Jay Baum and Blake Schmit loaded the bases for Sioux City with nobody out. Dylan Kelly then hit a hard ground ball to short that Goldeyes short stop Josh Mazzola was unable to handle cleanly and could only get the one out at second base. Green scored from third and gave Sioux City a 1-0 lead. Dexture McCall would add his fifth hit of the series and second of the game and that would bring home Baum and the Explorers lead 2-0.
That's all they would need as the bullpen was once again dominant against the fish as Patrick Schuster was called up in the seventh with a runner aboard and tow outs in the inning and he would strike out Grant Heyman to end the threat for Winnipeg and then go on to toss a perfect eighth inning, picking up another punch out.
Eric Karch was then called on for the ninth and allowed just one hit but was otherwise able to set down Winnipeg without any issue to collect his 21st save of the year.
For the Explorers it was the fifth time they have shut out an opponent this season and the second time they have shut out the Goldeyes this season. In fact the last shut out for Sioux City was against the fish back on July 3rd in what was a 4-0 win for the Explorers.
The X's have guaranteed them selves a series victory over the Goldeyes and improve to 5-0 against their rivals from north of the border. The Explorers will go for the series and season sweep on Sunday afternoon with first pitch at 1:00 and the newest addition to the Explorers pitching staff, Jason Garcia, making the start for Sioux City with Winnipeg announcing their starter before the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Series in Kansas City - Cleburne Railroaders
- Vavra's Three Doubles Lift Dogs Past Wichita - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Rob Railroaders; Come Back to Win 5-3 - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Similar Script Downs Wingnuts in Game Two - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Sneak by Canaries Late - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Topoozian Dazzles as Explorers Shut out Fish - Sioux City Explorers
- Savage's 8th Inning Sacrifice Fly Seals RailCats Fourth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Stellar, But Goldeyes Blanked by X's - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs, Saltdogs Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Texas AirHogs
- Severe Thunderstorm Swamps Saltdogs on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Add Shortstop Phillips - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Stumble in Series Opener vs. Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Explorers Begin Northern Road Trip with Win over Fish - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.