Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine
PORTLAND, ME - Mike Szmatula scored his team-leading 19th and 20th goals of the season and Matt Salhany scored a shorthanded penalty shot goal, but the Adirondack Thunder fell to the Maine Mariners by a 5-3 final Saturday evening at Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, ME.
After Drew Melanson scored the game's only goal in the first period, Szmatula tied the game with his first of the night at 4:45 of the middle period. The ECHL All-Star settled a high pass on the right wing, cut toward the center slot and popped a quick wrist-shot over the short-side shoulder of Brandon Halverson to tie the game at one.
Three minutes later, Brycen Martin regained the Mariners' advantage with a screen-shot from the center point. The former third-round draft pick collected a pass at the right point, adjusted the angle with a few strides towards center ice and got his soft screenshot by Evan Cormier for a 2-1 lead.
Matt Salhany tied the game midway through the middle frame after he was awarded a penalty shot while the Thunder were shorthanded. Salhany came in on Halverson with the puck on his forehand, came to a halt and used the hesitation to bait the Maine netminder one way before finishing the other and tying the game at 2-2. The goal was the Thunder's third shorthanded tally in their past two games.
Maine used a poor clearing attempt from the Adirondack defense to take the lead once again before the end of the second. Martin gathered the clearing attempt inside the blue-line before finding Dillan Fox with a cross-ice pass who potted the attempt for his first score of the season.
Szmatula provided another spark with his second of the night just over five minutes into the third. The 26-year-old forward took a drop-pass at mid-ice before streaking into the offensive zone. Szmatula put a deke on the Mariners defenseman to get the puck to his forehand and ripped a quick shot back across his body to tie the game at threes.
Greg Chase used another failed Adirondack clearing attempt to give Maine a lead it would finally not relinquish. The Mariners forward collected the puck at the left point, took a tour of the offensive zone and fired a long wrist-shot by Cormier for a 4-3 lead. Michael McNicholas added the fifth and final goal for Maine in the last two minutes of regulation.
Adirondack continues its seven-game road trip with a trio of games next week in Estero, FL against the Florida Everblades. The first of three games comes Wednesday night at Hertz Arena with a 7:30 p.m. puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.