Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers
Still stinging from a bruising 5-2 loss the previous night, Worcester came out fast and furious to start the second of a two-game trek in St. John's to eventually topple Growlers 5-1 at Mile One Centre in front of over 5000 fans.
The Railers opened the scoring at 1:41 of the 1st period as Josh Holmstrom buried his 10th of the season with assists from Gaudreau and Sorkin.
The "Triple P' line of Plouffe, Pooley and Piccinich put up four of the Growlers nine shots in the first period, in an opening frame that was dominated by solid defensive play and tight, efficient goaltending on both ends of the ice.
40 seconds into the second period hometown boy Marcus Power undressed goaltender Mitch Gillam with a beautiful forehand-backhand to roof his 16thof the year. Rubins and Bradley were credited with assists.
Midway through the second Matthew Gaudreau tucked one past Michael Garteig from behind the net to reclaim the lead for the Railers. Holmstrom would assist on the play.
Fending off two Growlers powerplays, the Railers would take a 3-1 lead on a shorthanded goal at 16:08 of the second as Tyler Barnes netted his team-leading 16th of the year.
Yanick Turcotte would extend the Railers lead to three at 3:41 of the 3rdperiod with assists from Kelley and Willick.
Tensions would boil at 6:43 of the 3rd, with the Railers earning a 5-3 power play as both Hudson Elynuik and James Melindy would draw minor penalties, though they'd fail to add to the scoresheet. Captain Melindy would be ejected with a game misconduct minutes later.
Hitchcock would tally his 6th of the year at 9:12 of the 3rd, with Gaudreau earning his third point of the game with an assist. Garteig would blank Ivan Kosorenkov on a penalty shot at 12:11.
The Growlers ultimately would fall 5-1, in a game with high emotion from start to finish. Both teams would combine for over 50 minutes in penalties.
The Growlers look to bounce back during a two-game homestead against the Brampton Beast on February 5th and 6th.
The three stars were 3 - M. Cornell (WOR), 2 - J. Holmstrom (WOR) and 1 - M. Gaudreau (WOR)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their seven-game homestand Tuesday and Wednesday night Mile One Centre as they take on the Brampton Beast. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Round Two Schedule Announced, Growlers Face-Off against Monarchs
- Growlers Tame the Beast, Advance to Second Round
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre
- Beast Force Game 5 as the Growlers Lose 4-1
- O'Brien Scores in Double Overtime, Growlers Lead Series 3-0