Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (29-8-3-3) cruised past the Tulsa Oilers on Saturday night, 7-1, at U.S. Bank Arena on Cyclones Fight Cancer Night. Forwards Justin Vaive, Pascal Aquin, and Vas Glotov each netted a pair of goals, while forward Alex Wideman added a lone tally for the 'Clones. Saturday's game was a physical affair as well, as the teams combined for 78 minutes of penalties.
Cincinnati struck early and often in this one, as just 6:18 into the opening period, Vaive came streaking into the right circle and launched a shot past Oilers goaltender Evan Fitzpatrick to take a 1-0 lead. That lead became 2-0 58 seconds later when Aquin deked around a defender, skated into the slot and ripped a shot past Fitzpatrick to put Cincinnati ahead by a pair.
Aquin was not finished and tacked on one more late in the frame when he tipped in a shot following an offensive-zone face-off to put the Cyclones ahead, 3-0, through 20 minutes.
In the second Glotov put Cincinnati up, 4-0 while on the power play, when he took a pass in the right circle from forward Ben Johnson and snapped in a shot past Fitzpatrick, 3:27 into the frame. Glotov was not finished and added one more power play tally roughly five minutes later when he took a pass from Aquin behind the net, and ripped in a shot from the low slot to put the 'Clones ahead, 5-0.
After Tulsa cut the deficit to 5-1 on a goal from defenseman Dylan Bredo, Cincinnati capped off another three-goal period when Vaive finished off a 2-on-1 rush with defenseman Anthony Florentino to give the Cyclones a 6-1 lead after the second period.
The third saw Cincinnati cap off their big night 8:02 into the frame when Wideman netted his 15thgoal of the season following a feed from Schultz to seal the Cyclones' 7-1 win. The Cyclones outshot Tulsa, 27-23, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 22 in the win. The Cyclones begin a four-game road trip on Tuesday night against the Wheeling Nailers. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05pm.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Advance to Second Round Following Shutout Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 6 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Come up Short in Game 5
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 5 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Come Back in Special Teams-Fueled Win