Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (29-8-3-3) cruised past the Tulsa Oilers on Saturday night, 7-1, at U.S. Bank Arena on Cyclones Fight Cancer Night. Forwards Justin Vaive, Pascal Aquin, and Vas Glotov each netted a pair of goals, while forward Alex Wideman added a lone tally for the 'Clones. Saturday's game was a physical affair as well, as the teams combined for 78 minutes of penalties.
Cincinnati struck early and often in this one, as just 6:18 into the opening period, Vaive came streaking into the right circle and launched a shot past Oilers goaltender Evan Fitzpatrick to take a 1-0 lead. That lead became 2-0 58 seconds later when Aquin deked around a defender, skated into the slot and ripped a shot past Fitzpatrick to put Cincinnati ahead by a pair.
Aquin was not finished and tacked on one more late in the frame when he tipped in a shot following an offensive-zone face-off to put the Cyclones ahead, 3-0, through 20 minutes.
In the second Glotov put Cincinnati up, 4-0 while on the power play, when he took a pass in the right circle from forward Ben Johnson and snapped in a shot past Fitzpatrick, 3:27 into the frame. Glotov was not finished and added one more power play tally roughly five minutes later when he took a pass from Aquin behind the net, and ripped in a shot from the low slot to put the 'Clones ahead, 5-0.
After Tulsa cut the deficit to 5-1 on a goal from defenseman Dylan Bredo, Cincinnati capped off another three-goal period when Vaive finished off a 2-on-1 rush with defenseman Anthony Florentino to give the Cyclones a 6-1 lead after the second period.
The third saw Cincinnati cap off their big night 8:02 into the frame when Wideman netted his 15thgoal of the season following a feed from Schultz to seal the Cyclones' 7-1 win. The Cyclones outshot Tulsa, 27-23, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 22 in the win. The Cyclones begin a four-game road trip on Tuesday night against the Wheeling Nailers. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05pm.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.