Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win
ALLEN, Texas - The Idaho Steelheads (29-14-3) needed just 40 seconds of extra time to win 4-3 in overtime over the Allen Americans (15-29-6) on Saturday night from Allen Event Center. The Steelheads take the season series with wins in four of six games head-to-head.
The Americans opened the scoring at 3:24 of the first period on a penalty shot goal by defenseman Alex Breton to take a 1-0 lead. The Steelheads answered that tally at 7:51 when forward Brad McClure led an odd-man rush up the right wing and slotted a shot top shelf from the right circle, tying the game at 1-1. The Americans jumped back ahead, 2-1, at 11:23 after the stick of forward Alex Ranger stabbed a loose puck in the crease by a battle for possession.
In the second period, the Steelheads and Americans continued the see-saw with Idaho claiming two of the three goals. At 6:49, Steelheads forward Steve McParland cleaned up a loose puck off the right post to find twine and a tie score, 2-2. Americans defenseman David Makowski added a power play goal at 14:41 before McParland found Steelheads defenseman Nolan Gluchowski for a back door goal at 19:57 on the power play, sending the game eventually to overtime at 3-3.
The Steelheads sealed the game at 0:40 with a give-and-go pass between defenseman Brady Norrish and forward Alex Dahl that opened up Norrish off the right post for the deflection and the 4-3 win. Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (5-1-1) halted 24 of 27 shots in the win, while Americans netminder C.J. Motte (13-13-6) turned away 32 of 3363 shots in the overtime loss.
The Steelheads head to Maverik Center on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7:05 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Utah Grizzlies. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Americans
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers
- Steelheads Open Midwest Swing with 4-1 Win over Thunder
- Cuglietta, Vala Recalled to Texas Stars Ahead of Road Weekend
- Steelheads Weekly - November 11, 2019