Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks were defeated by the South Carolina Stingrays, 4-2 Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks carried a 2-1 lead into the third period, but three unanswered goals by South Carolina in the third period was too much to overcome for the Mavericks.
Andrew Cherniwchan broke open the scoring for South Carolina with a goal at the 8:09 mark of the first period. Tad Kozun and Cameron Bakker assisted on the goal. The lead didn't last long, as Darian Dziurzynski tied the game just over a minute later. An assist on the goal came from Mavs assist leader, Willie Raskob. The Mavericks took the lead four minutes later on a goal from Nate Widman, who now has goals in two consecutive games. Mark Cooper and Joey Sides assisted on the go-ahead goal.
The Second period was scoreless, but Mavericks and Stingrays goaltenders Mason McDonald and Parker Milner stood out, with McDonald stopping all 10 South Carolina shots and Milner stopping all 11 Kansas City shots.
South Carolina jumped on the Mavericks in the first 10 minutes of the third period, regaining the lead on goals from Kozun and Justin Samuels-Thomas to go up 3-2 on Kansas City. The Stingrays added an empty net goal in the games waning moments to sew up the 4-2 victory, splitting the weekend series with KC.
The Mavs now welcome the Tulsa Oilers to Silverstein Eye Centers Arena on Tuesday, February 5. Next weekend, the Mavericks will wrap up their nine-game home stand with two games against the . Faceoff for all games is 7:05 p.m. For more information, visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Welcome Thousands of Students for Annual Kids Day Game
- Mavericks Kids Day Game at 10:35 a.m. Tomorrow
- Mavs Monday: Top Team Blown out in KC, First Road Trip this Weekend
- Mavs Explode against West's Top Team, Defeat Rapid City 10-1
- Mavericks, KCWE Add Road Broadcast to TV Schedule