Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits went up against the league's best, and could not keep up with the best offense in the league. Florida raced out to a 4-0 lead and held on to the Swamp Rabbits' third-period push and won 4-1 over Greenville on Saturday at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
The Swamp Rabbits were gifted a five-minute major power play in the first 32 seconds of the game. However, it was the Everblades that took advantage of a disadvantage. Kyle Platzer sprung Joe Cox on a breakaway, and his triple deke opened the scoring at 4:53.
Former Swamp Rabbit Tommy Thompson converted late in the period on a tic-tac-toe passing play to double the lead.
Florida would strike twice more in the second period, with goals from John McCarron on the power play at the netmouth, and Matt Finn on a picture-perfect snap shot from the left wing side.
Kamerin Nault continued his scorching hot ways for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, having scored his third goal in two nights. Nault has four points in five games since joining the club from the University of Manitoba. After coming out of the corner, Nault was fearless driving to the goal, and converted on his own rebound to cut Florida's lead to three.
The 'Blades hung on to the lead for the rest of the way to sweep the season series.
The Swamp Rabbits close out the season-long homestand on Monday, February 4 against the Atlanta Gladiators. Tickets are available at SwampRabbits.com.
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits goaltender Garrett Bartus vs. the Florida Everblades
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.