Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss
DULUTH, Ga. - The Orlando Solar Bears (22-18-3-0) twice battled back from deficits to tie the score, but a goal with three seconds left in regulation spoiled the team's chances to secure at least a point in a 4-3 loss to the Atlanta Gladiators (16-19-6-1) on Saturday night at Infinite Energy Arena.
The Gladiators established a 2-0 lead in the first period as Nick Bligh netted a power-play goal at 7:46 to open the scoring, and Joseph Widmar beat Martin Ouellette at 18:25 to extend Atlanta's lead by a pair of goals.
The Solar Bears responded with two goals in the second to even the score.
Mike Robinson got Orlando on the board as he snapped a shot from the right circle past Sean Bonar at 2:26 for his third of the season.
Chris LeBlanc then tied the game at 2-2 with a power-play goal at 17:53 when he deflected Matthew Spencer's shot from the left point past Bonar for his sixth of the season.
The Gladiators pulled ahead again in the third period at 12:26 when a turnover in the Orlando zone led to Brian Cooper beating Ouellette with a shot from the point that glanced off the goalie's glove and into the net.
With Ouellette pulled for an extra skater late in the frame, the Solar Bears tied the score at 3-3 when Alex Schoenborn banked the puck in from behind the net past Bonar at 18:46.
The Solar Bears were forced to play on the penalty kill with 23 seconds left in the game when Mike Monfredo was assessed a cross-checking minor, and Widmar squeaked his second of the night past Ouellette at 19:57 to put Atlanta ahead for good.
Ouellette took the loss with 29 saves on 33 shots against; Bonar picked up the win with 27 stops on 30 shots against.
1) Joseph Widmar - ATL
2) Nick Bligh - ATL
3) Chris LeBlanc - ORL
The Solar Bears finished their season-high nine-game road trip with a 5-4-0-0 record, and are 13-8-3-0 away from home for the season. Orlando's 29 points on the road are tied for the third-most of any ECHL club.
Orlando still leads the Gladiators in the regular season series with a 4-2-0-0 record, with three games remaining. The two teams meet again on Thursday, March 21 at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Colby McAuley's assist on Robinson's goal extends his point streak to seven games (3g-7a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears return home to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday. Fans can take advantage of $5 wine specials during the game.
Fighting Four Packs presented by CenturyLink:
Gear up for the second half of the 2018-19 season with a Fighting Four Pack, presented by CenturyLink! Pick any four remaining home games and get $65 dollars in gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods, First Watch, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the Saturday, Feb. 23 game against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, part of Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, presented by XYMOPrint. Packs start as low as $69.99 - CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2019
- Rays Strike for 3 in 3rd to Take Down Mavericks - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Snap Skid in High Scoring Game - Jacksonville IceMen
- Parks Backstops Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Gladiators Goal in Final Three Seconds Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Win Penalty-Filled Game, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Split Weekend with South Carolina, Drop Saturday's Game 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Cruise to Weekend Sweep - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Manchester shuts out Royals, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Everblades Overpower Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hoppy Trails: 'Blades Down Swamp Rabbits, 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Close Weekend with Thrilling 4-3 OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Three-Goal Second Sends K-Wings Past Nailers 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Glads Edge Orlando in Pulse-Pounding Game of the Year - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Rolled in Cincinnati - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Shut out Royals, 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Martin and McNicholas Lead Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Turnovers Hurt Thunder in 5-3 Loss to Maine - Adirondack Thunder
- Holy Smokes: Railers Smoke Growlers in Newfoundland 5-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ducks Assign Forward Alex Dostie to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Wings Game Day Snap Shot, February 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals Host Jam-Packed Saturday vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Battle Sends K-Wings to Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears to Face Everblades in South Division Finals
- Solar Bears Advance to South Division Finals with 5-2 Win over Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays