Tom McCollum Named Griffins' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins are proud to announce that Tom McCollum has been named the team's winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Grand Rapids community during the 2017-18 season.
McCollum is Grand Rapids' only four-time Man of the Year nominee. Now in his eighth season as a Griffin, McCollum rejoined the club after spending the 2016-17 campaign in the Calgary Flames organization and has picked up where he left off with his commitment and service to the community.
To begin the season, McCollum partnered with Flagstar Bank to purchase four season tickets for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Grand Rapids. He often hosts and entertains kids from the Boys & Girls Club following home games and is a monthly visitor to all three club locations in Grand Rapids.
For the fourth time in his career, the 28-year-old goaltender hosted - with help from goaltender development coach Brian Mahoney-Wilson - a free two-hour clinic during a Sunday in February for a number of aspiring netminders in the Griffins Youth Foundation.
This season, every save made by McCollum, who is the franchise's all-time leader in saves, has been put to good use. He donates $1 for every save to the National Stroke Association in honor of his father, a recent stroke survivor. McCollum also teams up with the Carlin Group to contribute $1 for every save to Kids' Food Basket, a local organization that provides sack suppers to needy schoolchildren each week day.
A native of Sanborn, N.Y., McCollum's positive impact in Grand Rapids also includes visiting patients at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital; assisting with a Habitat for Humanity build that benefited a U.S. Air Force veteran; packing sack suppers for Kids' Food Basket; attending and assisting with youth hockey practices in the area; ringing the bells for Salvation Army; and going Christmas shopping with three kids from the Boys & Girls Clubs as part of the Griffins' "Power Play" program with Meijer.
McCollum has participated in all of the franchise's charitable events this year, which comprises the Tip-A-Griffin fundraiser for the Griffins Youth Foundation; skating and interacting with fans at the Great Skate Winterfest to raise funds for the Youth Foundation; taking part in the annual sled hockey game with the Grand Rapids Sled Wings; and serving beverages at the Hockey, Hops and Hope event for Easterseals Michigan.
McCollum's unselfishness and willingness to go above and beyond for others made national headlines earlier in the season when he loaned his truck to then-Milwaukee Admiral Pierre-Cedric Labrie, who was in desperate need of a ride back to Milwaukee to witness the birth of his first child. When Labrie's wife went into labor during the early morning hours before Grand Rapids and Milwaukee's matchup on Dec. 31, McCollum arranged - while traveling on the bus back from the Griffins' game at Cleveland - for Labrie to get his keys, which enabled him to drive back to Milwaukee amidst a heavy snowstorm just in time to see the birth of his first child.
McCollum is now one of 30 finalists for the AHL's 2017-18 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League at a later date.
Images from this story
Grand Rapids Griffins Goaltender Tom McCollum
Grand Rapids Griffins Goaltender Tom McCollum in net
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2018
- Penguins Defeat Bruins, 5-3, Reclaim Second Place in Division - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Add Pair of Players from ECHL to Roster - Stockton Heat
- Register Now for the Ontario Reign 5K Walk & Run- April 8th - Ontario Reign
- Platzer Snipes Condors a 3-2 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Goaltender Spencer Martin to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Host Two Key Games this Weekend - Milwaukee Admirals
- Thunderbirds' Winless Streak Reaches 7 in Shootout Loss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flames Recall Spencer Foo from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Colby Robak Named Stockton Heat's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Stockton Heat
- Trevor Yates and Trevor Hamilton Signed by Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Collin Delia Named IceHogs' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rockford IceHogs
- Tomkins, Wideman Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Chris Terry Named Laval Rocket's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Laval Rocket
- Darren Kramer Named Moose 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Manitoba Moose
- Sexton Named Sens' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Danick Martel Named Lehigh Valley's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Mermis Named Roadrunners 2017-18 IOA / American Specialty Man of the Year - Tucson Roadrunners
- Dougherty Named Admirals Man of the Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- Tommy Cross Named P-Bruins' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Providence Bruins
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Syracuse Crunch
- Travis Morin Named Texas Stars 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Texas Stars
- Mason Mitchell Named Hershey's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hershey Bears
- Brad Thiessen Named Monsters' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Cleveland Monsters
- Bibeau Named Barracuda 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Jose Barracuda
- Chris Nell Named Wolf Pack's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Defenseman Mason Geertsen Named San Antonio Rampage 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- Nathan Paetsch Named Amerks 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- Philip Samuelsson Named Checkers' Man of the Year - Charlotte Checkers
- Tom Kostopoulos Named Penguins' IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tom McCollum Named Griffins' 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ryan Hamilton Named Condors 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year - Bakersfield Condors
- Sam Anas Named Iowa Wild's 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Iowa Wild
- Eddie Wittchow Named Thunderbirds 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 2017-18 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Team Award Winners Announced - AHL
- Scooter Vaughan Named Chicago Wolves' 2017-18 AHL Man of the Year - Chicago Wolves
- Burroughs Named Bridgeport's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Sign Woods, Reassign Phinney - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Sign Forward Austin Poganski to Amateur Tryout Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Forwards Jack Walker, Pavel Jenys to Rapid City Rush - Iowa Wild
- Syracuse Crunch Release Defenseman T.J. Melancon from PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Fwd: Capitals Re-Assign Pheonix Copley to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Sparks Makes 38 Saves in 5-1 Toronto Victory over Rocket - Laval Rocket
- 2018-19 Home Opener Set for Saturday, October 6 - Binghamton Devils
- White Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Sign Dane Birks to ATO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bakersfield Nudges Gulls 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Hogs Outlast Moose for Third Straight Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Steamroll Stockton, 6-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Rockford Trips Moose 4-3 - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Fall to Cleveland 6-0 - Stockton Heat
- Griffins' Young Guns Shoot Down Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Wolves Surge into First Place in Central Division - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.