Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls
TUCSON, Ariz. - In their first preseason match of the 2017 campaign, the Portland Timbers faced the New York Red Bulls on Friday night at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz., utilizing three different lineups in three 30-minute periods. In the team's first of three preseason matches during a 12-day stay in Arizona, 32 players saw the field for the Timbers in their preseason opener, as Portland fell 2-0 to the Red Bulls after conceding from an own goal and a penalty kick.
In his first appearance with Portland, homegrown defender Marco Farfan was the only Timbers player to play in multiple periods, starting in the second and third periods of the match. Additionally, Timbers goalkeepers Jeff Attinella and Kendall McIntosh, and defenders Rennico Clarke and Chance Myers each saw their first game action with the club, as well as 2017 SuperDraft selections forward Jeremey Ebobisse and midfielders Russell Cicerone and Romilio Hernandez.
The Red Bulls took the lead in the fourth minute from an own goal when defender Kemar Lawrence's cross deflected off defenders Gbenga Arokoyo and Clarke, sneaking its way past Attinella.
Portland responded by creating a strong chance in the 42nd minute of play when Farfan drove deep into New York's half, whipping a dangerous cross into the box toward midfielder Victor Arboleda, whose redirect effort was cautiously cleared away by the Red Bulls' defense.
New York scored the final goal of the match in the 60th minute after being awarded a penalty kick, with defender Vincent Bezecourt converting from the penalty spot.
Portland will resume preseason training over the weekend ahead of its second preseason fixture in Tucson against Croatian first-division side NK Istra 1961 on Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Kino Sports Complex. The Timbers will close out their stay in Tucson against Cascadia-rival Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday, Feb. 4, at Kino Sports Complex. Beginning at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match against Seattle will be live streamed on Timbers.com.
The Timbers play Croatian first-division side NK Istra 1961 in their second preseason match on Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Kino Sports Complex at 10 a.m. (Pacific).
Portland Timbers vs. New York Red Bulls (MLS Preseason) Jan. 27, 2017 - Kino Sports Complex (Tucson, Ariz.) *Match composed of three, 30-minute periods
Goals by Half 1 2 3 F
New York Red Bulls 1 1 0 2
Portland Timbers 0 0 0 0
NY: Own goal, 4 NY: Bezecourt (Penalty kick), 60
Misconduct Summary: POR: Powell (Caution), 11
First 30: POR: GK Attinella, D Powell, D Arokoyo, D Clarke, D Vytas, M Zemanski, M Chara, M Asprilla, M Valeri, M Barmby, F Mattocks
Middle 30: POR: GK McIntosh, D Myers, D Okugo, D Valentin, D Farfan, M Arboleda, M Bijev+, M Lewis+, M Bodily+, F Ebobisse^, F McInerney
Last 30: POR: GK Hamilton+, D Brett+, D Ordain*, D Batista+, D Farfan, M Adu*, M Hernandez^, M Damraoui+, M Cicerone^, F Williams+, F Johnson*
NY: GK Meara (Diaz, 70), D Kutler (Bezecourt, 43), D Collin (Scarlett, 30 (Schmoll, 43), D Long, D Lawrence (Allen, 43), M Muyl (Bilyeu, 43), M Felipe (Adams, 30 (Basuljevic, 70), M Davis (Najem, 54), M Royer (Valot, 30), F Veron (Metzger, 43), F Findley (Etienne Jr., 30 (Lewis, 70)
* Indicates guest player/trialist; ^ indicates SuperDraft pick, + indicates T2
-- visit www.timbers.com --
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2017
- Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Late Rally Comes up Short as Windy City Falls to Fort Wayne Friday - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Ã¢=80" with New Signings Angoua and - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's - New England Revolution
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Duje Dukan and Rights of Joe Alexander And - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF/FW Luis Silva - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2017 Campaign on March 26 against Sacramento - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Set to Depart for Clearwater, Florida Continuing Preseason - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas' Colin Bonner and Timo Pitter Choose to Retire from soccer - FC Dallas
- Kadin Chung and Thomas Hasal Again Called up to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Renew Affiliation Agreement with Burlingame Dragons FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jermaine Jones and Sebastian Lletget Named to Final 23-Man Roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MLS Newsstand - January 27, 2017 - MLS
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Acquire Defender Benjamin Angoua - New England Revolution
- 'Caps Fall to 1-0 Cardiff in First Preseason Match of 2017 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Josh Saunders Joins Orlando City SC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- David Guzman, Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for International Match against United States
- Timbers Acquire Slovenian Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic
- Timbers Acquire MLS Rights to Defender Claude Dielna from New England Revolution
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica, Tucson for 2019 Preseason Presented by Old Trapper
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2019 MLS SuperDraft