Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's
Vancouver Whitecaps FC News
Robinson makes Champions League ambitions clear, "it's a competition that we're going to try to win" -league-ambitions-clear-its-competition-were-going-try-win Jan 27th 2017, 19:50
The 'Caps start their season with a bang this year, jumping right into the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League away at New York Red Bulls on Wednesday, February 22 before hosting the second leg on Thursday, March 2 at BC Place.Carl Robinson was on TSN 1040 Radio Vancouver this morning and pulled no punches about the club's ambitions, calling it "a competition that we're going to try to win".
"It's massive," added Robinson. "We've managed to qualify for the quarterfinals of the Champions League for the first time in the club's history, and there's numerous MLS teams that have not managed to do that. What we've got to do is we've got to prepare ourselves right."
Robinson went on to explain his methodology for this year's preseason trip to Wales.
"The idea came from me, and let me explain why. Since I took charge three years ago, we've gone to Arizona, which is a great place, very warm weather, and we're playing MLS teams that we play two or three times a year during the season anyway. When we play against these teams, they're working on their fitness levels, so you could say by the time the first game comes around that we're probably 60 per cent fit, and we're playing against a team that is 60 per cent fit. We've got Champions League, literally in four weeks, so I need to get them up to speed sooner rather than later...my strongest team is going to play."
While the team has begun preseason, Robinson also addressed the team's desire to add to the club's attacking talent.
"We're still looking in that area. What people tend to forget sometimes is that it doesn't happen overnight. I must have looked at 40 or 50 forward type players. We're continuing to source all attacking players, and if we didn't there would be a problem."
To listen to the full interview, use the player at the top of the story.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2017
- Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Late Rally Comes up Short as Windy City Falls to Fort Wayne Friday - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Ã¢=80" with New Signings Angoua and - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's - New England Revolution
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Duje Dukan and Rights of Joe Alexander And - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF/FW Luis Silva - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2017 Campaign on March 26 against Sacramento - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Set to Depart for Clearwater, Florida Continuing Preseason - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas' Colin Bonner and Timo Pitter Choose to Retire from soccer - FC Dallas
- Kadin Chung and Thomas Hasal Again Called up to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Renew Affiliation Agreement with Burlingame Dragons FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jermaine Jones and Sebastian Lletget Named to Final 23-Man Roster - LA Galaxy
- MLS Newsstand - January 27, 2017 - MLS
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Acquire Defender Benjamin Angoua - New England Revolution
- 'Caps Fall to 1-0 Cardiff in First Preseason Match of 2017 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Josh Saunders Joins Orlando City SC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men
- Whitecaps FC Announce Additional Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Whitecaps FC Announce New Organizational Alignment Including a New Senior Leadership Group
- Whitecaps FC Announce Academy Update as Vanni Sartini to Take on New Role as Director of Methodology