Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player
CHICAGO (Jan. 27, 2017) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club signed midfielder Djordje Mihailovic as a Homegrown Player on Friday. The 18-year-old becomes the ninth Homegrown signing in Fire history."We consider Djordje to be a bright talent," said Fire general manager Nelson Rodrî - guez. "His signing is a credit to the entire U.S. development system. His formation was aided by past and present Academy staff, U.S. Soccer and Brad Friedel, as well as our current first team staff. We will continue to work in helping Djordje realize his full potential."
Hailing from Lemont, Ill., Mihailovic joins the first team after representing the Fire at the Academy and PDL levels. As a 16-year-old, Mihailovic was instrumental in the Fire's 2015 Under-18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championship run. Mihailovic scored a brace in the Fire's 4-2 extratime win over the Montreal Impact in the semifinal round, then earned the start in the final as the Fire defeated Real Salt Lake Arizona by a score of 3-1, capturing the second USSDA national championship in club history.
During the 2015-16 USSDA season, Mihailovic scored 12 goals in 19 games for the Fire. Thus far in the 2016-17 season, Mihailovic has scored nine goals in seven games, including three multi-goal games.
A U.S. Youth International who spent time in the U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla., Mihailovic scored two goals for the U-19s in 2016 including the game winners against Mauritania in the 2016 COTIF Tournament in Valencia, Spain on July 28 and against Hungary in the Stevan-Vilotic Cele Tournament in Topola, Serbia on Sept. 5.
Transaction: Chicago Fire sign Djordje Mihailovic as a Homegrown Player
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2017
- Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Late Rally Comes up Short as Windy City Falls to Fort Wayne Friday - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Ã¢=80" with New Signings Angoua and - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's - New England Revolution
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Duje Dukan and Rights of Joe Alexander And - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF/FW Luis Silva - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2017 Campaign on March 26 against Sacramento - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Set to Depart for Clearwater, Florida Continuing Preseason - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas' Colin Bonner and Timo Pitter Choose to Retire from soccer - FC Dallas
- Kadin Chung and Thomas Hasal Again Called up to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Renew Affiliation Agreement with Burlingame Dragons FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jermaine Jones and Sebastian Lletget Named to Final 23-Man Roster - LA Galaxy
- MLS Newsstand - January 27, 2017 - MLS
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Acquire Defender Benjamin Angoua - New England Revolution
- 'Caps Fall to 1-0 Cardiff in First Preseason Match of 2017 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Josh Saunders Joins Orlando City SC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 21-27
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 14-20
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September