Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly
Recently acquired Chicago Fire midfielder Dax McCarty is among the 23 players named to the U.S. Men's National Team's matchday roster for the upcoming friendly vs. Serbia. The two sides will meet at 3 p.m. CT Sunday (Jan. 29) at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, with ESPN2 and UniMas carrying the live national broadcasts.
An appearance against Serbia Sunday would be McCarty's sixth cap for the U.S. and his first since 2011.
Watch: McCarty, Robles square off in Jenga on Facebook Live
"I have been extremely pleased with the effort and progress we have seen throughout the January Camp," Arena said. "The entire pool of players has performed well and has made our roster decisions very difficult. We are excited to take the next step and look forward to the game against Serbia in San Diego."
The 23-man roster was derived from an original January Camp roster that included 31 players. Following Sunday's match, the squad will continue training before heading to Chattanooga, Tenn., for a Feb. 3 match vs. Jamaica.
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (3): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)
DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna, MEX), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union)
FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2017
- Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Late Rally Comes up Short as Windy City Falls to Fort Wayne Friday - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Ã¢=80" with New Signings Angoua and - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's - New England Revolution
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Duje Dukan and Rights of Joe Alexander And - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF/FW Luis Silva - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2017 Campaign on March 26 against Sacramento - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Set to Depart for Clearwater, Florida Continuing Preseason - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas' Colin Bonner and Timo Pitter Choose to Retire from soccer - FC Dallas
- Kadin Chung and Thomas Hasal Again Called up to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Renew Affiliation Agreement with Burlingame Dragons FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jermaine Jones and Sebastian Lletget Named to Final 23-Man Roster - LA Galaxy
- MLS Newsstand - January 27, 2017 - MLS
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Acquire Defender Benjamin Angoua - New England Revolution
- 'Caps Fall to 1-0 Cardiff in First Preseason Match of 2017 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Josh Saunders Joins Orlando City SC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Successfully Appeal Defender Francisco Calvo's Suspension
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 26 Ã¢ÂÂ November 1
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games, Draw New York Red Bulls 2-2
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4