Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed Costa Rica National Team forward Marcos Urena to a multi-year contract using Targeted Allocation Money, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC.
Urena and Panamanian defender Harold Cummings will be introduced to the local media for the first time on Saturday at 9:45 a.m. at Avaya Stadium. For more information about the press conference, please email Jake Pisani at mailto:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org .
Urena, 26, has represented Costa Rica at the U-17, U-20 and senior team levels. Since making his senior team debut at 19 years old in 2009, he has tallied 10 goals and three assists in 45 appearances. He also played in four of the team's five matches at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, and scored one minute into his appearance off the bench in a 396ca7772ad0 3-1 win over Uruguay. He played a critical role in the team reaching the quarterfinals of the prestigious tournament, before falling to the Netherlands in penalty kicks.
He comes to San Jose after six months with Brondby IF of the top-flight Danish Alka Superligaen, where he appeared in 16 matches, including a pair of Europa League qualifiers. Brondby currently ranks second in the Danish Superliga with a 12-3-6 record.
"We don't just look at a player's merits or international appearances," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "We focus more on the player's skillset to understand whether or not they match what the team needs. Marcos is a very attack-minded player that will be a very important element in binding our midfield and attack. He has great technique and can make many key passes while covering a lot of ground. I think he's going to be an exciting player for us."
Urena began his career with LD Alajuelense of the Costa Rican's first division at just 17 years old. During his four years with the team, he tallied nine goals and two assists and helped lead his club to the league championship in both the winter and summer sessions of the 2010-11 season.
The San Jose, Costa Rica native then moved to Russian side Kuban Krasnodar just days before his 21st birthday. He tallied two assists in 36 appearances for the club, before joining FC Midtjylland of Denmark on loan in August of 2014. Urena then agreed to move permanently to the club upon the expiration of his loan in December of 2014. With FC Midtjylland, he tallied six goals and six assists in 38 appearances and helped the side win the Superliga with a 22-6-5 record. He later moved to Brondby in July of 2016.
"I think he's going to be a good addition to the team," said Earthquakes head coach Dominic Kinnear. "He's a Costa Rican international, who's played in some big tournaments. We brought him here to score goals and help us win and that's what we expect of him."
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign F Marcos Urenausing Targeted Allocation Money.
Marcos Urena Position: Forward Height: 5-9 Weight: 165 Born: Mar. 5, 1990 in San Jose, Costa Rica Hometown: San Jose, Costa Rica Last Club: Brondby IF (Denmark) College: N/A Citizenship: Costa Rica
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2017
- Timbers Open Preseason Slate against New York Red Bulls - Portland Timbers
- Late Rally Comes up Short as Windy City Falls to Fort Wayne Friday - New York Red Bulls
- Revs Ã¢=80" with New Signings Angoua and - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Sign Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Player - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's - New England Revolution
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Duje Dukan and Rights of Joe Alexander And - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs MF/FW Luis Silva - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2017 Campaign on March 26 against Sacramento - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Set to Depart for Clearwater, Florida Continuing Preseason - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas' Colin Bonner and Timo Pitter Choose to Retire from soccer - FC Dallas
- Kadin Chung and Thomas Hasal Again Called up to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Robinson Makes Champions League Ambitions Clear, "It's - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dax McCarty Named to USMNT Roster for Upcoming Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Renew Affiliation Agreement with Burlingame Dragons FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jermaine Jones and Sebastian Lletget Named to Final 23-Man Roster - LA Galaxy
- MLS Newsstand - January 27, 2017 - MLS
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Forward Marcos Urena - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Acquire Defender Benjamin Angoua - New England Revolution
- 'Caps Fall to 1-0 Cardiff in First Preseason Match of 2017 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Josh Saunders Joins Orlando City SC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.