Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23
PORTLAND, Ore. - Major League Soccer today announced that following the conclusion of the MLS is Back Tournament, the league's 25th season will continue in the home markets of the 26 clubs. The Portland Timbers will continue regular-season play against Cascadia-rival Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on Sunday, Aug. 23; kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (Pacific) on FS1. The return to play in home markets will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19.
Due to travel restrictions between the U.S. and Canada, MLS announced the initial phase of the league's revised schedule with each U.S. club playing six matches by Sept. 14. The Timbers will travel for road matches against the San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle and Los Angeles FC, and play host to matches at Providence Park against Sounders FC, Real Salt Lake and the LA Galaxy. All three home matches at Providence Park will be played without fans.
Portland will take on San Jose in a road match on Aug. 26 and will then return to Providence Park for consecutive home matches against Real Salt Lake on Aug. 29 and the LA Galaxy on Sept. 2. Portland concludes its six-game stretch with a road match against Seattle on Sept. 6, before traveling to square off against LAFC on Sept. 13.
Each club will play 18 additional regular-season games in a phased approach, culminating with Decision Day on Sunday, Nov. 8. In an expansion of the postseason for 2020, 18 clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs -- up from 14 teams last year. MLS Cup will be played on Dec. 12.
At this time, the majority of the matches in local markets will be played without fans in attendance. MLS and club leadership are working with local health authorities and government officials on a plan for limited capacity at certain games where allowed.
As with the MLS is Back Tournament, COVID-19 testing protocols will again play an important role in MLS' competition framework. MLS continues to work closely with the league's infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff, and essential club staff will be tested every other day, including the day before each match day. Also, guidelines will be provided to players, coaches and essential staff to avoid the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 during their time away from club facilities.
In addition to adhering to health, safety and medical protocols, another focus of the new schedule is efficient travel. Teams will take chartered flights, or buses, and for the majority of road trips will arrive in the host market on matchday and depart after the match later that evening.
MLS plans to announce the balance of the regular-season schedule by early September as the league continues to work with infectious disease experts, league and club medical personnel, and government officials in all markets.
Date Opponent Kickoff Television
Sun., Aug. 23 SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC 7 p.m. FS1
Wed., Aug. 26 @San Jose Earthquakes 7:30 p.m. FOX 12 PLUS
Sat., Aug. 29 REAL SALT LAKE 7:30 p.m. FOX 12 PLUS
Wed., Sept. 2 LA GALAXY 7:30 p.m. FOX 12 PLUS
Sun., Sept. 6 @Seattle Sounders FC 7 p.m. ROOT SPORTS
Sun., Sept. 13 @LAFC 8 p.m. ROOT SPORTS
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park