Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan
Sporting Kansas City has released the club's schedule for the first phase of the continued 2020 MLS regular season in home markets, featuring six total matches between Aug. 21 and Sept. 13 and three home fixtures at Children's Mercy Park.
All MLS clubs will play 18 additional league matches in a phased approach, concluding with Decision Day on Nov. 8 to complete the 23-game regular season. The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs are slated to begin Nov. 20 with 18 teams and will culminate with the 25th MLS Cup on Dec. 12.
Major League Soccer's return to play in the home markets of all 26 clubs will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19. MLS plans to announce the balance of the regular season schedule by early September as the league continues to work with infectious disease experts, league and club medical personnel, and government officials in all markets in charting a course for the completion of the 2020 season.
MEDIA ASSETS: Soundbites from Sporting Kansas City Manager and Sporting Director Peter Vermes and forward Alan Pulido as well as training photos and b-roll are available to download here.
TODAY: Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber will be available to the media during a video conference call today at 11:45 a.m. CT, following the league's announcement to continue its 25th season in home markets. Register and join the video media conference and using password: MLSPress.
MONDAY: Sporting Kansas City will host a video press conference for media members with President & CEO Jake Reid on Monday, Aug. 10, at 10 a.m. CT. Reid will discuss the continued MLS regular season and Sporting's plan for reduced-capacity homes matches, among other topics. To register in advance, click here .
Each of Sporting's next six matches will air live on FOX Sports Kansas City or FOX Sports Kansas City Plus in Kansas, Nebraska and western Missouri and on FOX Sports Midwest or FOX Sports Midwest Plus in St. Louis, mid-Missouri and Iowa. They can also be streamed via the FOX Sports GO app or FOXSportsGO.com by customers of pay-TV providers who receive the channel. Each broadcast will be supplemented by 30-minute pregame and postgame shows. Viewers outside of the FOX Sports Midwest footprint in the U.S. can watch every match on ESPN+.
Additionally, all six games will air locally in English on Sports Radio 810 WHB or one of its sister stations, and in Spanish on La Grande 1340 AM.
Sporting KC Schedule: First Phase of Continued 2020 Regular Season
Date Opponent Time (CT) TV & Streaming
Friday, Aug. 21 at Minnesota United FC 6:30 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City Plus; FOX Sports GO
Tuesday, Aug. 25 HOUSTON DYNAMO 7:30 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City Plus; FOX Sports GO
Saturday, Aug. 29 at Colorado Rapids 8 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City; FOX Sports GO
Wednesday, Sept. 2 FC DALLAS 7:30 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City Plus; FOX Sports GO
Saturday, Sept. 5 at Houston Dynamo 7 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City Plus; FOX Sports GO
Sunday, Sept. 13 MINNESOTA UNITED FC 7:30 p.m. FOX Sports Kansas City; FOX Sports GO
In conjunction with today's schedule release, Sporting Kansas City has also announced the club's plan for reduced-capacity, socially distanced seating for the home matches at Children's Mercy Park during the first phase.
Following detailed safety protocols developed in conjunction with the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, Sporting's next three home matches at Children's Mercy Park will be held at a reduced capacity of approximately 14%. The stadium seating plan will adhere to proper social distancing guidelines and face coverings will be mandatory for fans, along with a number of other new safety measures including a tailored ingress timing plan that promotes physical distancing upon entry.
The reduced-capacity plan at Children's Mercy Park was developed through significant collaboration between Sporting Kansas City and the Unified Government prior to receiving local and state approval.
"The safety and wellbeing of fans, players and staff at Children's Mercy Park remains our top priority," said Dr. Neal Erickson, Primary Care Physician at Sporting Kansas City. "After consulting extensively with local officials, government authorities and public health experts, we feel confident about the detailed safety protocols and procedures in place at Sporting KC home matches. We will continue to monitor the evolving public health landscape and adapt accordingly."
Tickets for the next three home matches will be available exclusively to Sporting Kansas City Season Ticket Members via lotteries and no single-game tickets will be sold by the club on SeatGeek.com or at the stadium box office. For more information, Season Ticket Members can contact their Membership Service Executives.
A limited number of media members will be credentialed to cover Sporting Kansas City's next three home matches at Children's Mercy Park. Media must apply for single-game credentials and can click here for more details.
COVID-19 testing protocols will continue to play an important role in the league's competition framework. MLS continues to work closely with the league's infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff and essential club staff will be tested every other day, including the day before each match day. Teams will also take chartered flights, and for the majority of road trips will arrive in the host market on matchday and depart after the match later that evening.
Aug. 21: Sporting resumes regular season at Minnesota United FC
Aug. 25: Sporting hosts Houston Dynamo in first match back at Children's Mercy Park
Nov. 8: Regular season ends on Decision Day
Dec. 12: MLS Cup
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.