Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida
With the announcement from MLS that the 2020 regular season is set to continue in home markets later this month, Mexican international Rodolfo Pizarro and captain Luis Robles have set their sights on the team's return and the first chance Inter Miami will have to play at Inter Miami CF Stadium.
"We're waiting for the return of the season with great desire to play here in our stadium," said Pizarro. "We are very happy to be here and to work in a more or less normal manner."
"It's definitely not the home opener that we had all imagined when we first signed on, but I think 2020 has been about adjusting your expectations and finding a way, whether it's around or over or through or under obstacles and different adversities," said Robles. "Though there's been some very obvious challenges, I feel the group has done well to stay together. As we look forward to our home opener, our next game, and the next phase of the season, for us it's about one thing: putting together a full 90 minutes as a team and putting together the type of performance that's worthy of a win. We're hoping to do that in our home opener."
Despite the unusual circumstances, Pizarro believes the players felt safe at the MLS Is Back Tournament thanks to strict protocols put in place to ensure the continued health of everybody involved.
"Truthfully, we all felt safe. There were many protocols that we had to comply with in order to feel that way, feel safe and secure in the knowledge that nothing was going to happen to us," said Pizarro. "Now that the league is going to begin again, there are still many protocols and that helps us feel freer and more fulfilled doing what we enjoy."
Following the completion of the team's participation in the MLS is Back Tournament, the players returned to the Inter Miami CF Training Center. There, hard work has been a theme for the team ahead of the next phase of the season.
"Our team has been working on everything: improving our defense, our offense, the flow with which we want to play a game, we've gone over our tactics, and even some things we've gone back to the basics. We're going to make sure that no stone is left unturned because right now we're in a position where we can make some big improvements.," said Robles. "We wanted to utilize the time that we have to do just that. We've played a lot of intrasquad scrimmages, we've even done double days because for us the most important thing is getting results. Though we don't feel we're so far away from it, we wanted to really be able to use this as a positive time for us to get results."
While the results weren't what the team hoped, Pizarro and Robles still felt there were plenty of lessons learned and positives to take. The team will look to build on each of those as they approach the rest of the regular season.
"They were months of hard work despite not getting the results. I think we worked very hard and I do think the matches were quite intense ones in which we improved several aspects," said Pizarro. "Now we have to go along the same path, trying to improve everything we did and trying to go for the points."
"It's going to be really important for us to get back onto the field and find that rhythm because I know it's going to happen. We're going to get that first point, we're going to get that first win and we're going to go on a roll," Robles concluded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 8, 2020
- Rapids Announce Upcoming Regular Season Scheduling, Beginning August 22 against RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Inaugural Season Continues with Home Debut on August 22 - Inter Miami CF
- Everything You Need to Know About Resuming the 2020 MLS Season - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Return to Play Plans Through September 12 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Announces Continuation of Play in MLS Home Markets - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's First Six Matches of Continued Major League Soccer Season Announced - LA Galaxy
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - D.C. United
- MLS Announces Schedule for Continuation of 25th Regular Season - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Continue Regular Season against Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on August 23 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC to Continue 2020 MLS Regular Season at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Announce Schedule for Continuation of Play in Home Markets - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Releases Schedule for Next Six Matches, Announces Reduced-Capacity Plan - Sporting Kansas City
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Announce Six Games as MLS Season Continues in Home Markets - New England Revolution
- Orlando City SC Announces Schedule for In-Market Continuation of Play - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC's 25th Regular Season to Continue as Major League Soccer Announces Plan to Return to Home Markets - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Continuation of Play with Phase 1 of 2020 MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- MNUFC to Continue MLS Season in Local Markets - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Resumes MLS Play with Two Home Matches vs Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium in MLS Play August 21 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - MLS
- Pizarro, Robles Excited for Continuation of MLS in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- MLS' 25th Season Continues in Local Markets in August - Philadelphia Union
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Montreal Impact on the Road
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Montreal Impact on Saturday
- International Duty: Pizarro Starts Twice for Mexico
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1